Ph 814

Ba 0

Sulf 25

Oxid 17

Nitr 12

Visc. 8.84cst

TBN 4.0

Fuel, Water, Anti-freeze all 0

Looks really good to me. You can see that the Fram OT, even though just 20 oz., boosted Zn and P levels pretty good for a cheap OT. It also thickened the oil a bit.

Silicon is dropping, and I'm assuming the initial reading is from some form of contamination - maybe some gasket work was done on the truck, I dunno.

Re-filled engine with 5.2 quarts QSGB 5W-20, and about 3/4's of a quart of ST 5W-20. Will be running this for the winter, and change again in March, probably.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty good Addy. I'm not a fan of additives but it seems to work for ya here.

Yeah, just to clarify, I wasn't really 'planning' to use additives in this rig.

When I had my Cavalier and was doing 8k+ OCI's, I found it at a 'dollar store' for $2, and figured it couldn't hurt to 'clean out' that engine.

Then after using 10 oz in one OCI in that car, i got rid of it, and still had 2/3rd's of the bottle left. I used it mainly to get rid of it, so it wasn't sitting around.

'Dollar Stores' don't carry the stuff anymore, but I did find the synthetic Fram OT at a store a couple of weeks ago for $5/quart...hmmm...that's another steal!

No, the Toromont kits don't test for calcium or boron. I would have liked to know that reading as well!

For the price and convinience, they are what I stick with.....

^Silicon perhaps a tad high, but you did mention it 'is dropping'. I take it there were previous UOAs for this app?

The report looks good. Low nitration and oxidation, too. Probably could have gone up to 7,500 based on this, but draining hopefully getting more of the Si to drop.

Just 1. Si was 57 there, but no severe wear to go with it.

Would have run a bit longer, but took advantage of decent weather to do a winter OC. Also, filter was leaking a bit, so would have had to deal with that anyway...

Yeah, I gotta admit, I really like the look of that red-can MM filter. Looks a bit like the metallic-red baldwin filters you guys get down there...

Fram Oil Treatment...or as they call it, 'Fram Oil Stabilizer"

I'm not sure it's produced anymore......

You still had TBN of 4 after 5.6K, which is high for any Valvoline oil.
I'm thinking that the Fram OT must have had some calcium in it.
Really good looking UOA.

NICE wear and viscosity results. FOS appears to work well.

The other tbn test method has a different scale. TBN 4.0 = Blackstone method 1.0 or 2.0 tbn.

So depending on method used it may have been time to change out this Valvoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back