Valvoline 10w40 dino Subaru 2.0 turbo 90k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my son's Subaru. Probably "spirited" driving. Notice on UOAs of newer Subaru diesels that copper reading is quite high, so perhaps not of concern in this gas engine. He used 10w40, but note that 5w30 is original spec. Better to go back to 5w30, even in sub-tropical S. Florida?
Other recommendations?

Subaru%20UOA%204.20.11.pdf.jpg

I would say the copper is from the turbo; 22 isn't that high so I wouldn't be too worried. Looks fine otherwise.

10w40 is a good option; these engines spec anything from 5w30 to 20w50 depending on conditions. Turbo's tend to shear the engine oil at an increased rate as well. The Valvoline 10w40 is only a hair from being out of grade in this sample.

I couldn`t imagine using 5W30 in a turbo engine. I`d stick with a 40 weight. I bet if you look at the Subaru fsm,it`ll say to use 40-50 weights in turbo models if raced or driven at extended high speeds.

Last edited:
If he drives it spirited, i say you upgrade to a nice mid grade synthetic blend for a little extra wear protection. Cooper should go down.

Bang for the buck I would try Rotella T6 5w40. Better start up flow, a solid 40w, and a cheap synthetic oil at under $20 a gallon. Very popular with turbo Subaru engines.

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
Bang for the buck I would try Rotella T6 5w40. Better start up flow, a solid 40w, and a cheap synthetic oil at under $20 a gallon. Very popular with turbo Subaru engines.

+1

Originally Posted By: Billy007

+1

+2!

Hello,all, I am the mentioned son who does, in fact, drive the car "spiritedly."
smile.gif

I thought that 5W-30 was the spec oil, but I was incorrect. In fact, research shows that the FSM for my WRX states not to use 5W-30 in heavy-duty applications (and Subaru considers all turbo cars to be heavy-duty use).

Oil.jpg

Quick search for the Rotella T6 shows many positive reviews by other WRX owners. Will be refilling the car with T6 at the next OCI, will report back.

Shell Rotella T6, 5W-40, is a full synthetic HDEO. Great Oil but it is hard to find for under $20, except on sale. You could use any SM, CJ-4, HDEO that is in your owners manual.

They have sales all the time on Valvoline Blue, Shell Rotella Triple Protection, Chevron Delo LE 400, Kendall Semi-Synthetic, Castrol Tection Super or Mobil Delvac....all fine oils in 15W-40, Conventional Dino, for the sub-tropical South Florida heat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back