Valvoline 10w30 5,300 miles Toyota Highlander V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second UOA & post for this Highlander. Driven gently about 10 miles each way to work in South Florida sub-tropical climate, with an occasional 200 mile trip at 80 mph on the Interstate. It's a 2002 with 104k miles. The possible coolant comment is puzzling, as if so, wouldn't Water % show more than 0.0?
This is 2nd fill with Valvoline which I've read elsewhere on this site has high sodium content.

Highlander%20UOA%2010.22.11.pdf.jpg

Sodium doesn't seem out of line versus what VWB contains new.
Don't know about the Potassium.
After your second run of VWB, the UOA still shows molly, which the VWB doesn't have.
The oil did shear a little below grade in a little over 5K.
It would have been nice to see TBN.
This is a good UOA, as they usually are with Valvoline products on short drains.
It does tend to reinforce my opinion that Valvo products are not for long drains, although without TBN it's hard to really say.

Great UOA! The only negative I see is Potassium, which as the poster above mentioned. If it is a leak it is very minor because the mear looks great. The only thing in your particular situation is that if you needed to find a coolant leak, sodiaum is important and Valvoline has that in their add pack so it is very hard to determine.

You could switch oils and after about 3 OCI's do another UOA (residual Na will be flushed out by then) OR you could just keep sticking to what you are doing and monitor.

First time in a while I have been inpressed by a Synpower UOA in a while.

Yea the Potassium is a little puzzling. Kinda came outta nowhere, unless some engine work was done during the OCI.

Thanks for comments!
Timing belt, water pump, cam & crank seals, drive belts, spark plugs and valve cover gaskets all replaced just about mid point between OCI.
Current oil is my garage clear out. A combination of VWB, GTX & PYB SM, HAV SL, 10W-40,5W-30, and 5W-20, giving a mathematical 6W-26!
Will run the 4,700 miles Blackstone compares to.

See that's what i thought. If a few drops of coolant made it into the oil while the seals were out, that would explain why a tiny amount showed up in the UOA. Most should be outta the system next time and then be completely gone after that.

It's a great engine. I have 210k on the same block in my 98 Camry and its going strong. Just had it's second timing belt change. Hoping to milk it to 300k.

They said iron 2-3 PPM typically is not a problem. That's interesting. When would 2-3 PPM more in iron be a problem? None of that makes any since to me.

The work performed definitely should explain the 'small' blip. Potassium should trend down to nothing.

I see what tig is saying, only 2 or 3 'ppm' being 'typically not enough to call a problem' is kind of pointless to say. More like a blip of 10 ppm MORE, at least, compared to 'universal averages' for an engine before anything to write home about.

Thank you for posting the Valvoline report.

Doesn't a mildly low viscosity show additives are beating byproducts of combustion? I think this used oil would be cleared for continued service. All current 5w-30 have to work in oil life sensor equipped vehicles and Valvoline is one that works.

But I'm still watching for reports that show better flash point # than this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back