Valvoline 0W20 Advanced Synthetic Oil Test Results (PQIA May , 2022)

I remember spiking my oil with Redline(quart per OCI) for the quieter engine. That was over 20 years ago.
To pass the API/ILSAC D8279 timing chain tests, looks like most use a slug of moly or boron, or both. About time!

So, my anecdotal 'ear' and 'hearing' has been ahead of API/ILSAC/SAE/automakers for decades.

The new Valvoline "EP" version I assume would probably have 10% ~ 20% more molly & boron than the "Advanced" version synthetic oils along with a touch more cleaning ability?

On things that can be measured perhaps but there is a lot that a simple analysis will not tell you.
You can say that, but it wouldn't be hard to believe Valvoline marking up the same oil for a higher price like Supertech is doing with their basic synthetic and the advanced version

Just looked at the SDS for both, and the pdf datasheet for both. One has a d1g3 licenses. One doesn't. SDS and datasheet for both look 'similar'.

Identical UOAs.
Let me jump in. The above analysis shows 7 to 10% MORE Ca and Mg compounds in the sample of the EP version. That is out of the noise range, but comparing different labs data can be an issue.
The Advanced was already a high performance OLM lubricant. And there are many non earth metal compounds used in the DP/EP packages that are NOT visible on the type of analysis. We also don't know the base oils.
I am also seeing only a $1.50 pricing difference at my local store. I also so the higher spec Valvoline MB/VAG 5W40 is 3 to 4 dollars less than these ILSAC EC oils.

The Valvoline synthetic are excellent oils, use with confidence. I have and I have good UOA's with 50% extended OC interval to back this statement up. And that was the Advanced FS.
This interval, I am using a 10W30 on my Ford 5w20 spec car and this specific engine example enjoys the Quaker state FS moreso than anything else. - Ken

Honestly, after seeing the quality of work in labs, I'd say for that 10% is still in the 'noise' range. If you have access to or work in an oil analysis lab, offer an 'open house' and let everyone run the same test on the same oil and see what happens. Being different labs, could even be more drastic.

As you can see from Valvoline's datasheets, these 0w20's are drastically different. The 1st is the EP and the 2nd photo is the Advance... ****, maybe I got it backword. The 1st is the Advance and the 2nd the EP. No wait. Oh well. Its on their website.

valvoline advancefullsythetic0w20.jpg

valvolineextendedprotection0w20.jpg

Compare both MSDS's.... drastically different. Those trade secrets are what makes the EP and Adv so different. We can't see 'secrets' in the datasheets, SDS's, or VOA's. Might see it in UOA's for someone that wants to use both for extended intervals and compare multiple trends.
extended performance 0w20valv.jpg

advance0w20fullsyntheticmsds.jpg

Back