Valvoline 0w-40 "European Vehicle"

KJH

Noticed this stuff is always in stock at my local super markets lately, were as Mobil 1 and Castrol are sometimes out of stock. Despite some searching and knowing how popular 0w-40 is, I couldnt find much information on this oil, my apologies if this is covered somewhere.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd1/21ae2c8d-759c-e911-9c25-ac162d889bd1
Note this oil doesnt hold any of the big boy Euro OEM approvals, only claims to "meets or exceeds" [EDIT: actually says "reccomended for:", i mis-remembered]

Pour point seems to be much higher than than 0w-40 M1 and Castrol at -39, HTHS slightly higher at 3.7. I am still a noob when it comes to the technical details of oil so I'm not really sure what to make of that besides that more HTHS = good, and some but not all seem to place importance on lower pour point.

I've been using Mobil 1 0w-40 in pretty much everything, and this stuff is only a dollar cheaper so not planning on switching or anything. Was just curious as to if anyone knew the details of this stuff, particularly what kind of base they may use in comparison to M1 and Castrol edge.

Last edited:
Many oil manufacturers use phrasing such as "meets or exceeds" in regards to certain performance standards and certifications, nothing new or out of the ordinary here. I have used this oil as well as M1 0w40, both without issue on the same applications. Valvoline makes a good product so you can use it with confidence.

Many oil manufacturers use phrasing such as "meets or exceeds" in regards to certain performance standards and certifications, nothing new or out of the ordinary here. I have used this oil as well as M1 0w40, both without issue on the same applications. Valvoline makes a good product so you can use it with confidence.

Thanks, I am sure its a good product and works perfectly fine. However, thats not really what im curious about, I am more interested in the actual composition and technical aspects of the oil, particularly in comparison to its main competitors at this viscosity(M1 ECF, Castrol Edge).

I only mentioned the "meets or exceeds" stuff to illustrate it does not have the actual approvals(particularly Porsche A40), unlike its main competitors in this segment. I am aware that all oil brands do this for a variety of their products, most of them high quality.

It's on the Bevo 229.5 list, it's also on the A40 list, and the 50200/50500 lists, Valvoline just needs to do a better job clarifying on their datasheets, the actual bottle breaks up recommendations and approvals, although I don't like Valvoline's useage of "MB-Approval 226.5" under recommended on the actual packaging, they should just say MB226.5 if it's not actually approved, the approval terminology should only be used on the packaging if the product is approved by Mercedes-Benz otherwise recommending for "MB226.5" would be more appropriate because it in no way implies that it's approved by Mercedes-Benz
1645904594312.jpg

1645904625072.jpg

1645904714223.jpg

1645904989833.jpg

Noticed this stuff is always in stock at my local super markets lately, were as Mobil 1 and Castrol are sometimes out of stock. Despite some searching and knowing how popular 0w-40 is, I couldnt find much information on this oil, my apologies if this is covered somewhere.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd1/21ae2c8d-759c-e911-9c25-ac162d889bd1
Note this oil doesnt hold any of the big boy Euro OEM approvals, only claims to "meets or exceeds"

Pour point seems to be much higher than than 0w-40 M1 and Castrol at -39, HTHS slightly higher at 3.7. I am still a noob when it comes to the technical details of oil so I'm not really sure what to make of that besides that more HTHS = good, and some but not all seem to place importance on lower pour point.

I've been using Mobil 1 0w-40 in pretty much everything, and this stuff is only a dollar cheaper so not planning on switching or anything. Was just curious as to if anyone knew the details of this stuff, particularly what kind of base they may use in comparison to M1 and Castrol edge.

I actually believe the pour point is much lower with the previous PDS having it near -60F. I think Valvoline is very conservative on their pour points, and it's said the oil is still mostly PAO...

It's on the Bevo 229.5 list, it's also on the A40 list, and the 50200/50500 lists, Valvoline just needs to do a better job clarifying on their datasheets, the actual bottle breaks up recommendations and approvals, although I don't like Valvoline's useage of "MB-Approval 226.5" under recommended on the actual packaging, they should just say MB226.5 if it's not actually approved, the approval terminology should only be used on the packaging if the product is approved by Mercedes-Benz otherwise recommending for "MB226.5" would be more appropriate because it in no way implies that it's approved by Mercedes-Benz
View attachment 90458
View attachment 90459
View attachment 90460
View attachment 90461

Thats very interesting. I wonder if they changed something or the approvals expired, because the jug at my supermarket does not list that on the back and looks very different from your picture, and does not mention "approved" anywhere on the bottle. I made a mistake in my previous posts and said "meet or exceeds", it actually just says "recommended for" then lists all the euro stuff. I have a picture, ill edit this post with it in a second.

EDIT
Heres the picture.

Attachments

• YHoKs3Q.jpg
    YHoKs3Q.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 6HcCIFl.jpg
    6HcCIFl.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
1645905781349.jpg

I found that style of packaging on Amazon, maybe they just decided to stop paying licensing fees, I feel Valvoline is probably the least used of the majors in the euro spec pcmo market probably doesn't make much sense for them to pay to keep the approvals valid on oil that's for older cars anyways and is a microcosm of there whole marketshare, I feel most of the Valvoline loyalist I know of are very pro American cars and probably less likely to own eurotrash or even Japanese vehicles.

Reactions: KJH
View attachment 90466
I found that style of packaging on Amazon, maybe they just decided to stop paying licensing fees, I feel Valvoline is probably the least used of the majors in the euro spec pcmo market probably doesn't make much sense for them to pay to keep the approvals valid on oil that's for older cars anyways and is a microcosm of there whole marketshare, I feel most of the Valvoline loyalist I know of are very pro American cars and probably less likely to own eurotrash or even Japanese vehicles.

Thats also what i was thinking. Not sure how long the approvals last before having to be re-upped. M1 seems to dominate the brick and mortar euro oil market with castrol a distant second, it would make sense if valvoline decided not to re-apply for approval.

I actually believe the pour point is much lower with the previous PDS having it near -60F. I think Valvoline is very conservative on their pour points, and it's said the oil is still mostly PAO...

What is the source on it being mostly PAO? Not that I dont believe you, I am just curious as to were to find this kind of information.

If the previous PDS had a much lower pour point, coinciding with the approvals disappearing, could it be possible they added more Group III? I'll try to find the previous PDS you mention and see if other numbers are considerably different.

What is the source on it being mostly PAO? Not that I dont believe you, I am just curious as to were to find this kind of information.

If the previous PDS had a much lower pour point, coinciding with the approvals disappearing, could it be possible they added more Group III? I'll try to find the previous PDS you mention and see if other numbers are considerably different.
Likely the 2018 SDS:
1645912794630.jpg

It appears to have since been reformulated:
1645912929613.jpg

What is this? I haven’t seen this before.

Reaction products of
Benzeneamine, N-pheny1- with
(nonene (branched)

It could still be the same, they just omit the PAO part because the petroleum distilates are likely more flammable and toxic than the PAO so disclosing the PAO on the datasheet wouldn't be necessary, right?
I mean even then, the percentages don't line-up. Yes, they might not be calling out PAO, but it is quite often called out. Could also be GTL. We do know the SDS changed though, lol.

I mean even then, the percentages don't line-up. Yes, they might not be calling out PAO, but it is quite often called out. Could also be GTL. We do know the SDS changed though, lol.

That may well be, but even if it is largely GTL that makes up the balance the pour point is going to be quite a bit lower than -39C, which I think is a CYA by Valvoline so no one can accuse them of exaggerating their PPs as it seems some boutique oil companies do. It's something they've done across the line of oils and possibly done to head off scrutiny. Also there in no question that at least a small percentage of the oil would have to be POE/AN as well...

That may well be, but even if it is largely GTL that makes up the balance the pour point is going to be quite a bit lower than -39C, which I think is a CYA by Valvoline so no one can accuse them of exaggerating their PPs as it seems some boutique oil companies do. It's something they've done across the line of oils and possibly done to head off scrutiny. Also there in no question that at least a small percentage of the oil would have to be POE/AN as well...
Not necessarily, Shell produces a Euro 0w-40 with no PAO or AN's. Is it easier to do with PAO, and AN's? Gotta be, otherwise Castrol would do it, as they don't appear to use PAO unless they have to.

Pour points of the GTL bases don't approach those of PAO, but you are right in that they are better than your average Group III. I'd have to bring them up, but I've posted the specs for them before.

Not necessarily, Shell produces a Euro 0w-40 with no PAO or AN's. Is it easier to do with PAO, and AN's? Gotta be, otherwise Castrol would do it, as they don't appear to use PAO unless they have to.

Pour points of the GTL bases don't approach those of PAO, but you are right in that they are better than your average Group III. I'd have to bring them up, but I've posted the specs for them before.

So I know its impossible to say for certain, but in your opinion does the evidence point to Valvoline reformulating perhaps with less PAO, and replaced with GTL or Group III? Or am I misreading things here.

I was hoping you would respond to this post btw, I've learned alot from browsing threads with your posts in them.

So I know its impossible to say for certain, but in your opinion does the evidence point to Valvoline reformulating perhaps with less PAO, and replaced with GTL or Group III? Or am I misreading things here.

I was hoping you would respond to this post btw, I've learned alot from browsing threads with your posts in them.
I'd say yes on the reformulation, as it now shows anywhere between 20-50% base that isn't PAO or GTL. Without any evidence as to what the remainder is, I can't say, other than we know that the ratio, with what was previously PAO, appears to have changed.

I guess the only way to really know is to have a detailed chemical and physical analysis performed on both the old and new version, if anyone wants it, I noticed that my local Meijer store had one 5qt jug of Pre Ashland-Valvoline split 0W-40 Synpower still on the shelf a few weeks ago, I'm sure it's still there if someone seriously wants it I'll pick it up if you'll pay the price of the oil shipping :ROFLMAO:

Back