Valvetrain Pictures of a never rebuilt 45 year old engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCD

Time for the yearly valve lash adjustment on the Capri.

Until now i had always used genuine Motorcraft oil filters, but Ford no longer makes them ( EFL90 ) sadly... so i have opted for a Bosch.

I have since 2016 been posting pictures almost every time i have done a valve adjustment on it.

2016 : Shell HX3 20W-50 https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4170887/Under_valve_cover_pics_-_
2017: Shell HX3 20W-50 https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4396981/Valvetrain_pic,_UK_Essex_V6,_2
2018: Shell HX3 20W-50 / Shell Rimula R4X 15W-40 HDEO Frankenbrew https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4834083/Re:_Valvetrain_pics_of_a_43yr.

And the most recent, last week :

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Valve adjustment, 17-03-2020 by Lauri Lind, en Flickr

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Valve adjustment, 17-03-2020 by Lauri Lind, en Flickr

Looking better i think, i did a short OCi with the current Repsol Elite Super 20W-50 from August to November last year, no filter change.
Latest OCi was November last year with a Bosch filter.

This oil seems to be cleaning things up, it wasn't very dirty to begin with but still it had some varnish, it seems to be eating away at it which is nice.
I really like this oil, an SM, A3/B4, Full SAPS, High TBN, Syn-Blend 20W-50, with a strong add pack, both detergent, dispersant and antiwear.

Compared to the Shell Helix HX3 20W-50, which is a very basic Group 1 20W-50 that only meets SL/CF, it seems to start better when cold and maintain good oil pressure whereas the HX3 used to dip a fair bit after a long hard motorway run in the summer.

I think i can push this oil to 7500km or 2 years no problem.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
I miss seeing cars like that in (now) old English movies/TV shows.

They are rare now, even in the UK and Germany where they were most popular.

For a long time they were worth nothing, now some of the rare RS versions are fetching almost 50 grand.

Mine is a special order, and the only one of this exact spec in Spain.

It's a Capri II Ghia, 90% were automatics, with power steering and a Sunroof.

Mine is a 3.0 V6 with 144hp, 4 speed manual, manual steering and no sunroof, 0-60 in 8.5s and a top speed of almost 125 Mph made it the fastest production European Ford at the time.

Ford made in USA pic is awesome. My great great... grandfather had a Ford T model and the first private owner of a car in the city/village. 100% Ford man and 100% communist hater ...

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Ford made in USA pic is awesome. My great great... grandfather had a Ford T model and the first private owner of a car in the city/village. 100% Ford man and 100% communist hater ...

Capris are not American, this one was made in Köln ( Cologne ), on 15-09-1975

BTW, if you might have lived in Oulu between 1976 and 1980 you might have seen it
wink.gif

Was parked every day at Asemakatu 12, in the center of Oulu, between those years
grin.gif

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I see you are on an island- how do you fight salt corrosion ?

It's not that bad unless you live right next to the sea, i live about 3 kilometers or so from the beach, and the car is parked indoors.
It is very humid here though throughout the year.
It has suprisingly little rust, only minor stuff on the A-Posts, Bottom corners of the rear quarter panels, and the sills, all easy to fix ( i will )
This car in fact was purchased new in Finland in 1975 an delivered on January 9 1976.
The car was given a double undercoating when brand new so it has no structural rust, even if it lived through 4 long Finnish winters with salt on the roads.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted by Bjornviken

Capris are not American, this one was made in Köln ( Cologne ), on 15-09-1975

BTW, if you might have lived in Oulu between 1976 and 1980 you might have seen it
wink.gif

Was parked every day at Asemakatu 12, in the center of Oulu, between those years
grin.gif

ohh, forgot say from the Lauri Lind pic galleri. Really nice picsðŸ‘. There is a pic of a rusty front. Ford made in US its says on it. Kippis
cheers3.gif

I'm lucky to live 400yds away from one of the most respected engine builder/tuners in the UK, who just so happens to be a massive Capri enthusiast and races his own Capris in historic race series - every time I take my dogs for a walk I go past his workshop. Currently 2x Mk1 Capri, 1xMk2(a widebody turbo car from the 80s) and 3x Mk3 Capris in various states of restoration.

Lovely looking things but downright dangerous handling! The rebodied the Cortina and in dong so removed ALL the weight from over the rear wheels. without significant suspension mods they just oversteer everywhere (which is part of the fun!)

What a cool car. They were really popular with the sports car crowd in Connecticut, due to the great handling and willing V6 engine. I never owned one, but many of my friends did. Always loved them!!!

Great job keeping your car beautiful and mechanically sound.

It's a rear wheel drive, live rear axle car on leaf springs with no LSD.

Add to that a torquey big V6 and ofcourse they slide about fairly easily, you do get a feel for it however eventually.

They are effortless high speed cruisers however, despite the 4 speed gearbox, the final drive ratio is a long 3.09.

That means that at 80mph you are at 3000rpm in 4th, which is peak torque, no need to downshift to overtake.

How much HP did those little V6 engines make?

Edit - saw someone say 145 HP in the 3.0L. Did they make different engine variants over the years?

Last edited:
Brings back memories. I had a 1973 Capri US import equipped like yours as my first new car. Sold by Mercury dealers here. Was a fun car but looking back it was incredibly basic: no power steering, manual windows and door locks, only flip open rear windows, no A/C and (my favorite) windshield washer fluid propelled by pumping a button with your left foot.

Sold it after a couple years for one of the first water-cooled VWs available here. Stranded me 5 time in the first year of ownership. Not a good decision...

Last edited:
They came with all sorts of engines here, from the 1600 Crossflow, maybe even the 1300, the 2.0 OHC Cortina engine, the 2.0 V4 from the Transit, and even the V6...from the Zephyr.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
How much HP did those little V6 engines make?

Edit - saw someone say 145 HP in the 3.0L. Did they make different engine variants over the years?

There are endless variants depending on year and market.

Just look up the Wikipedia page on the Ford Capri, a fair bit of it is the work of yours truly
wink.gif

Mine is the 3.0L "Essex" V6 with 144hp and 174 lb/ft of torque, ( nothing to do with the Canadian Essex used in North American Fords )

In the U.S, i believe the most powerful Capri version was the 2.6 V6 with 125hp ( pre smog era )

By the end of production of Capris for the US market in 1977 the 2.8 V6 barely coughed up 108hp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back