Valvetrain Photos - 1992 Toyota Previa

Dad used conventional 10W30 for annual oil changes. This is the non-supercharged version.

Intervals range between 2-5K, though I think he may have allowed it to go 10K one time?

Mileage is 184K.

View attachment 154662
View attachment 154663
Thanks for posting the photos.
I really like the Toyota Previa - Was Toyota's best made vehicle ever in my opinion. Many owners taking their previa to 300k miles, which is unheard of for any other brand minivan. When I retire, I want to buy some well maintained Toyota's/Honda from the 1980's and 1990's. A 1991-1997 previa, a 1983 to 1988 Toyota Van, a 1984 Honda Accord, a 1990's Acura Legend, and a 1990's Mercedes S600 are in my plan to buy.

Regarding oil change interval, so many posters on BITOG are posting clean engine photo's under the valve cover with conventional oil with <= 5k oil change intervals. It's convinced me that the only thing that matters is how often you change your oil, not what oil you use.

Thanks for posting the photos.
I really like the Toyota Previa - Was Toyota's best made vehicle ever in my opinion. Many owners taking their previa to 300k miles, which is unheard of for any other brand minivan. When I retire, I want to buy some well maintained Toyota's/Honda from the 1980's and 1990's. A 1991-1997 previa, a 1983 to 1988 Toyota Van, a 1984 Honda Accord, and a 1990's Acura Legend are in my plan to buy.
It is my least favorite Toyota - can't wait to see it leave the family fleet. I will keep you at the top of my list when I have permission to sell it.

It is my least favorite Toyota - can't wait to see it leave the family fleet. I will keep you at the top of my list when I have permission to sell it.
Sure. I would love to buy a Previa. My goal would be to buy one with a like new condition body appearance, and then have my mechanic bring it up to excellent conditon by replacing whatever it needs. Would be good for another 200k miles.

My goal would be to buy one with a like new condition body appearance
This one should fit your needs requirements perfectly.

and then have my mechanic bring it up to excellent conditon by replacing whatever it needs.
Good luck finding any parts for it. Filters, valve cover gaskets, belts, tires and some brakes are all that's left.

This one should fit your needs requirements perfectly.

Good luck finding any parts for it. Filters, valve cover gaskets, belts, tires and some brakes are all that's left.
That's a real shame. I guess Toyota has discontinued all the OEM parts due to the age of the vehicle, and from what you said, after market parts have dried up? I really wish the US government would pass a law that car makers need to produce OEM parts for 50 years from a vehicle's model year at affordable prices.

Ugly van. Hmong community in northern cal have strong affinities for these. Plenty of these here.

With Land Cruiser and HiLux in existence that's a very interesting opinion
One criteria I use is the reliability of the Automatic transmissions.
Toyota Previa's go 300k+ miles on the original transmissions.
Compare that to a Dodge Caravan of the same era (probably had to rebuild the transmission several times to get to 300k).

One criteria I use is the reliability of the Automatic transmissions.
Toyota Previa's go 300k+ miles on the original transmissions.
Compare that to a Dodge Caravan of the same era (probably had to rebuild the transmission several times to get to 300k).
Yeah, but the Previa SADS shafts and headgaskets won't last 300K, and those are equally as expensive as a transmission replacement.

Yeah, but the Previa SADS shafts and headgaskets won't last 300K, and those are equally as expensive as a transmission replacement.
True. Yeah, I've heard stories of people having to do the SADS shafts every 30k miles.
There was a cheap SADS shaft kit on the internet (not OEM) that people on the previa forums were using with good results.

Back