valvecover removed pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the update!!
smile.gif

-brian

Keeping in mind that the original post went up over a year ago, I'm curious to know how oilcan's engine has fared since the installation of the new PCV valve, and whether he's still using GC. You still out there Oilcan?

Put white curtains in a smokey bar and they will be yellow in no time. The atmosphere inside an engine is full of vaporized unburned fuel, oil, combustion by-products. The atmosphere is purged by the PCV valve and sucked into the intake manifold where it is burned. Before emissions controls, there used to be vents on the valve covers.

I don't think this is an oil problem either. I have seen same with stuck/clogged PCV valve. When there is more condensation/thicker oil in the winter it might not be clearing out and is getting gummy. PCV valves usually are a maintenance item in my experience (check your owner's manual).

Check all of the plumbing from your PCV to the intake for clogs. Clean with carb cleaner.

Also clear out your EGR system - gets full of soot. This can affect the crankcase pressure balance.

Did you change the valve (cams) or change ignition timing? Either can affect the manifold vacuum and its ability to draw off crankcase pressure.

[ February 16, 2005, 01:59 AM: Message edited by: Geoff ]

Glad it's not the oils fault here, but did anyone ever figure out why Castrol SLX was taken off the shelf in a few countries?

quote:

The questions and doubts come when you realize that it has been discontinued in many countries, but still available in Germany, Austria, Belgium and may be in Switzerland. What was the reason of such step: some issues caused by certain local conditions like inappropriate gas quality or manufacturing cost ? If it's manufacturing cost, why to ship tons to the N.A. and sell at $ 6-7/qt instead of $ 10-15/l in Europe ? I am glad (and not jealous ) that SLX performs well in your engines, but I would not praise a single oil and make you an idol, more over that this oil may disappear like it has appeared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back