Valve Cover Pics - Ford Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: doublebase
That's very clean, I've seen some of these motors with the covers off and believe me they usually don't look like that. I know the 3,000 mile oil change is dead, but this is what it can do.

There are plenty of higher mile OCI vehicles pic'd here that are equally clean...

And some a lot worse.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
That's very clean, I've seen some of these motors with the covers off and believe me they usually don't look like that. I know the 3,000 mile oil change is dead, but this is what it can do.

There are plenty of higher mile OCI vehicles pic'd here that are equally clean...

And some a lot worse.

Not at reasonable OCI's like 5,000 miles or so, unless there was an engine defect...

I change my oil every 1200 to 1800 miles because that is all i do in a year , on my daily once a year too ( about 5-6k miles )

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

And some a lot worse.

Not at reasonable OCI's like 5,000 miles or so, unless there was an engine defect...

I posted pics a few years back of my engine, serviced since new with dino oil changed every 3K miles that looked like absolute [censored]. I posted the history and no defects. My point was it can happen to well maintained engines too. True a defect can cause issues but not always. It could be how the vehicle was used too.

Your engine looks great!! It's your choice to do a 3000 mile OCI and who is anyone to say it is wrong, whatever works for you is fine. My OCI's are based strictly on time. I change the oil in both of my cars twice a year, around May 1st and November 1st. I don't have to worry about the weather at those times of year. Since I am now semi-retired, the intervals vary from 3 to 6 thousand miles. To me it is cheap insurance. Both cars are Mercury's with Duratec V-6's; one has 99K, the other 168K. I have never added any oil between changes. But that's just me. If someone wants to do 15K OCI's, that's fine too. JMO..

BTW, Happy Birthday to MRtv and our Great Country!!

114k miles in 18 years is ~6,600 miles per year.
3k OCI is about 6 months, which is reasonable IMO if it's a lot of short trips.

Originally Posted By: thorromig
What did the valve covers look like inside? Everything else looks great!!

Cover was clean as well. Probably should have taken a picture...

For grins, here are my oil changes and selection of oil since purchasing the truck. Average interval was 3700 miles. You can see we've played around some
smile.gif

Chevron Supreme 5w/30
Chevron Supreme 5w/30
Chevron Supreme 5w/30
Chevron Supreme 5w/30
Chevron Supreme 5w/30
Chevron Supreme 5w/30
Chevron Supreme 5w/30
Quaker State 5w/30
Chevron Supreme 5w/30
Mobil 1 5w/30
GTX 5/w30
Valvoline 30 wt
Chevron Supreme 5w/30
GTX 5/w30
Mobil Clean 5000 5w/30
Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5w/30
Chevron Supreme 5w/30
Syn Power 5/30
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5/40
Delo 400 5/40
Delo 400 5/40
Quaker State 5w/30
GTX 5/w30

Nothing wrong with trying different products. I agree with the idea that one has the right to choose what they want to do with their own cars or trucks maintenance. It would behoove us to be mindful that every circumstance is different unto itself. What one person can do may well be a recipe for disaster for someone else. It's all very platform and usage specific.

Last edited:
It was that Mobile Clean 5000 you used nine changes ago.

You know... I'm tired of these people who claim I don't have to change my oil every 3000 miles. I'm going to start changing it every weekend in protest.

Last edited:
Unless someone does something foolish and ends up with a damaged engine, why should any off us criticize someone's OCI regimen. What business is it of ours? If someone asks what we think, that is one thing, otherwise why is it necessary to criticize or take shots at someone? Let Scout1 enjoy his clean engine HOWEVER he got there. Sheesh!

Looks like your Little Henry is aging very gracefully. I have had several Ranger's and found them to be a pretty likeable little truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back