valve cover pics - CRV 98 - normal wear???

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can't feel any pitting and it feels smooth, then I'd say it's fine. That's about what my Toyota Corolla looks like with 150,000 miles. Looks like it's been very well maintained! No staining or varnish.

What oil and oil change interval do you use?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
If .....
What oil and oil change interval do you use?

3k - 30k mile, Mobil 2000, 10w40

30k - 170k mile (now), Mobil 1, 5w50, 6 months/8k mile OCI

OEM spec for 5w30, but with the consideration of shearing, temperature and engine rpm limit. Happy to run 5w50.

As clean as your engine is I thought M1 or other quality Synt. was used.

Here in the States many panic over 50WT. oil. Looks like it works for you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
As clean as your engine is I thought M1 or other quality Synt. was used.

Just to keep it real...

st3980006.jpg

Just as clean on conventional.

From a person who sees MANY engines opened.

Amazing...

I think itis just the flash on your camera but the cam wear patern looks a bit odd. Again not anything I would worry about as long as all other points of contact look good. I suspect it is just the flash. WHen the flash hits little scratchs it makes the light reflect in all kinds of crazy ways so it is probably nothing. Looks nice and clean like I would expect from a well maintained Japanese vechile. You have to love synthetic!

For the recorded even back in the 1980's I had all kinds of insanely clean engines with M-1. I even had a block I sent to a machine shop for inspection and honing .5mm larger bores for HP pistons. They bock had 80,000 miles on it. I cleaned it with solvent before it left my shop. THe machine shop accused me of sending them a brand new block as a trick to catch them in a lie.....Back then it was all the rage for new agencies to go under cover and catch garages and such ripping off customers etc.....The owner came to my shop ready to chem me a new one........I simply pulled up over to the empty engine compatment and the heads other parts lieing on my bench and he shut up.

In fact almost all the vechiles I worked on where imports with turbo or super charger's. ALmost all of my engines and heads I sent over to the shop where spotless when I would sent them over their. I think I converted 1/2 his shop to synthetics back then.

Todays dino oils are 10X better then they used to be with reguard to cleanliness but they still can not compete with a GIV or V synthetic!

Thank you people for the inputs.

Pretty clean no doubt. I guess the degree of wear/pattern would be what is expected for a 170k mile old engine. Assuming nothing changes, can these cams go another 170k mile?

Originally Posted By: slidetaker
Thank you people for the inputs.

Pretty clean no doubt. I guess the degree of wear/pattern would be what is expected for a 170k mile old engine. Assuming nothing changes, can these cams go another 170k mile?

Yep.

Originally Posted By: slidetaker
From a 170k mile old 98 CRV, B20B engine, I4, 2L

are these normal wears on the cam lobe? when touch, I don't feel the marks, or patterns that I can see with my eyes.

If you said this engine had 50,000 miles on it, nobody would question you. It's in excellent condition.

Must be all that 10w40
wink.gif

funny, yesterday i was checking my oil filter cap and decded to peak inside and i saw marks just like that on my cam lobes. We basically have the same engine except mine is 1.8l. my engine only has 91k miles on it. engine runs great, i wouldn't worry

any reason why you're running 5w-50 when the engine ask for 5w-30? is it burning oil with 5w-30?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: calvinnnnnnnnn
funny, ......
any reason why you're running 5w-50 when the engine ask for 5w-30? is it burning oil with 5w-30?

I never tried 5w30. Have been pouring in M1 5w50 for a long time.

Given that M1 5w50 is the cheapest and easy to get for me, shearing down to a 5w40 quickly after running with good level 1000ppm ZDDP, I am happy to continue.

Current M1 5w50 consumption is around 0.5 quart / 8k mile in total and average fuel consumption as per owner's manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back