Valve cover on Honda GCV160 stuck solid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I know this shouldn't be rocket science, but does anyone have tips on on how to remove a thin aluminum valve cover that's been RTV'd to the engine (rather that using a gasket) ? The instructions say to gently pry it off around the corners, but man this thing is stuck solid and won't even budge. It doesn't help that the valve cover is so flimsy that as soon as you put some real pressure on it it starts to just bend, all the while the glue seams stay put. The whole thing is made more awkward by the fact that it's tough to get a good angle on it with a screwdriver. If nothing else I can just force it off in which case the cover will be toast and I'll slap another on there. Does heat help, or any other tips?

Maybe a dull tool like a plastic drywall mud spreader (spatula) will pry it over a wide enough area without nicking the aluminum.

Try some love taps on the corners from a rubber mallet is about all I can come up with.

That valve cover can be replaced with the commercial version which is thicker and a gasket can be ordered for it. The one you have is so thin if you bump something with it you can bend it far enough to lock up the cam drive. I suggest you remove th eengine cover to get better access for prying.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I'll try these ideas. The main problem is this is a mower and there's just not much room to maneuver tool and blades in there, the desk is in the way for a lot of it. I'll take off the exhaust and engine cover tomorrow to see if that gives me some extra access. It's probably not even urgent I get in there, this mower has maybe 25-30 hours on it and I wanted to do the first valve adjustment check. I use the mower year round and in the summer it's crazy hot, but it wouldn't surprise me if the valves were still in spec. It's starts and runs perfectly.

I guess I should also just go ahead and get some RTV before I pull it, doesn't seem likely it'll seal back up once I do get it off. Makes no sense to me that they don't just put a gasket on there in the first place.

Looks like there's this one as well, same seller. After reading more it appears Honda has superseded the old part number, presumably because of its flimsiness. I don't see any mention of a gasket though, I may call them. That would be sweet to have a gasket but I'm not up for making one.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/cover-head-p-554628.html

Am I being overkill by wanting to adjust the valves in the first place? I neglected my leaf blower go for years and when I finally checked the valves they were way off so I do annual checks on everything now.

Your GC/GCV rocker covers swap out between 160s and 190s, and 135s. The 190 gets the nice cast aluminum cover. Use the latest part revision cam cover. The newer ones have an additional internal guide to aid in belt retention and help oiling.

Last edited:
I pried one off. it took more force than I would have like and it bent. However, I was able to re-bend it to be flat again before re-installing. It was hard to start the removal process but once it started to let go, it gave up and popped off. Mine had a paper gasket glued in there and it let go by tearing the paper in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back