Valve cover off at 122,000 miles=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Franky, apart from a bit of normal wear on the cam surfaces, this looks to me like what I would (in my uneducated point of view) would expect to see if you opened the valve cover on a brand new engine after it had been run for an hour or so.

Pretty impressive, thanks for posting this!

PHOTOSHOP!!!

28.gif
27.gif

45.gif

Maybe I cheated by taking the valve cover off and taking a picture after a thorough cleaning with some secret cleaner!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
PHOTOSHOP!!!

28.gif
27.gif

45.gif

While the photo is a bit washed out and not up to the usual moripar, has this been been handed down in indictment form?

What's the scoop?

Originally Posted By: moribundman
A blast from the past: This is a picture of the left bank of my '96 A4's V6 engine without the valve cover.

Up to that point in 2003 I had used Castrol 5W-50. More often than not I added a few days before every oil change 1/2 quart of MMO to the sump and drove the car gently, a practice which I have picked up again a couple oil changes ago.

When I replaced a leaky valve cover at 122 k miles, I took this picture:

west_bank.jpg

At that time oil consumption was high, mostly caused by leaks that hadn't been fixed. Some of the oil consumption was, based on BITOG expert opinion, due to a "dirty engine." Dirt, which alledgedly was hiding in the darkest, deepest creveces, such as piston grooves -- where you can't see the dirt.

Did the suggested A-RX treatment. Six years and 68 k miles later I wonder how it looks underneath the valve cover. I'm hoping for a valve cover to begin leaking. So far, no signs of it! Curiosity may drive me to open up the engine anyway. Just for you guys!
wink.gif

Honestly don't know what all the fuss was about

German engineering looks pretty antiquated to me.

Although I do like the idea of double in block cams outside the crankshaft centreline. Would make an interesting timing belt run to clear the water pump.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Plot thickens.

Stumbled across this pic somewhere else...remarkably similar perspective.

testimonial.jpg

This looks photoshopped. I can tell by carefully examining the pixels.
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back