Valve cleaning for Turbo DI engine's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Been reading numerous posts regarding this issue. We have a new 2014 regal turbo. Wondering if anyone has had success using a solvent based cleaner, applied thru the intake, to combat this problem? It seems depending on the specific DI system, one can see "some" success with fuel additives in the tank (techron/redline) but it's far less than ideal. Any other approaches to try? Catch can etc... Thanks. Ps I "think" this is the LTG variant of GM's 2.0T

Don't do it as you may very well trash your Turbo!!!

Follow your owners manual as far as oil recommendations and use Top Tier gasoline.

Leave any cleaning to the dealer.

If you trash the Turbo they many well not honor the warranty.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Specifically says (Turbo Safe) GDi intake deposit cleaner from CRC. More and more products will become available as D.i. implementaion increases from mfr. to mfr. Enjoy the ride.

http://crcindustries.com/auto/intake-valve-cleaner.php

Liquefied Petroleum Gas 30 - 40%
Diesel Fuel No. 2 20 - 30%
Distillates (petroleum), Sweetened Middle 20 - 30%
Solvent Naphtha (petroleum) Heavy Arom. 1 - 3%
Naphthalene < 0.2 %

Compare to BG44K

Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light 15 - 40%
Mineral Spirits 15 - 40%

Is CRC stronger or weaker?

Have DI engines proven to be enough better at anything to justify the risk of ownership after the factory warranty expires? Are DI engines to be avoided by the person that keeps cars a long time? In other words, are DI engines still being developed even though they are in the hands of owners? Would the conservative move be to wait and see?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Have DI engines proven to be enough better at anything to justify the risk of ownership after the factory warranty expires? Are DI engines to be avoided by the person that keeps cars a long time? In other words, are DI engines still being developed even though they are in the hands of owners? Would the conservative move be to wait and see?

All good questions for a separate thread. Yes they get better fuel mileage and appear to be able to generate more HP/liter than their older kin. I am conservative in my purchases; this puts me in the wait and see. The jury is still out on electric windows IMHO.

I have a I4 turbo DI 2.0(LNF) 30K mi and the carbon problem was pretty bad. I discovered this when I inserted a boroscope thru the intake and took a peak at the valves.

Problem is solved! I simply took a 16 oz water bottle poured 1/2 out and then filled with hydrogen peroxide, so I had a 50/50 solution. Started the car inserted a funnel onto one of the vacuum lines and slowly, very slowly poured the whole bottle in thru the vacuum line. Car did not smoke at all, but took a good 15 minutes of easy driving to get it to run good again...then I kicked it in the [censored] and I knew it was clean. I further verified with a boroscope check..what I saw was very impressive, not only was the carbon gone but my valves were shiny and glaring at me, looked brand new.

I did the same thing to one of my other cars with 185k mi and had the same results. It fouled a plug on that one though. The plugs were due for replacement anyway. This was a port injection and was really bad.

It's really a pretty easy maintenance step that all cars will need sooner or later. Looks like every 30k on DI.

Originally Posted By: drillbabydrill
I have a I4 turbo DI 2.0(LNF) 30K mi and the carbon problem was pretty bad. I discovered this when I inserted a boroscope thru the intake and took a peak at the valves.

Problem is solved! I simply took a 16 oz water bottle poured 1/2 out and then filled with hydrogen peroxide, so I had a 50/50 solution. Started the car inserted a funnel onto one of the vacuum lines and slowly, very slowly poured the whole bottle in thru the vacuum line. Car did not smoke at all, but took a good 15 minutes of easy driving to get it to run good again...then I kicked it in the [censored] and I knew it was clean. I further verified with a boroscope check..what I saw was very impressive, not only was the carbon gone but my valves were shiny and glaring at me, looked brand new.

I did the same thing to one of my other cars with 185k mi and had the same results. It fouled a plug on that one though. The plugs were due for replacement anyway. This was a port injection and was really bad.

It's really a pretty easy maintenance step that all cars will need sooner or later. Looks like every 30k on DI.

what an odd first post.

Originally Posted By: drillbabydrill

Can you take pictures with that scope? If so next time you treat one of these engines post before and after pics.

Yes I have the pictures, but that computer will not boot. I think the hdd is still good so if I salvage it I will post the photos.

You can view some of the scopes here.

Last edited:
Hyundai Veloster 1.6GDi was sold with 70K - never had a deposit issue.

So far so good with the vehicles in the sig, but they are very new.

What turbo vehicle do you own? I've heard about this water method several times, is it fairly safe? Also is it better to use a Vacuum line or just use a spray bottle and mist it directly in the intake?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

I have put over 144,000 miles on my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3. I added a Mazdaspeed cold air intake as well as the relatively mild Hypertech ECU tune. It is currently making over 300 hp and 320 lb-ft of torque. I average 26 mpg in urban/suburban driving and 30 at a 75 mph cruise. I would not hesitate to buy another car with a DI turbo motor.

DI is like any other new technology.

Mfgr A releases it first. Then Mfgr B attempts to copy it. You and I are always the developers who field test the product.

It has been proven so far that the level of expertise is very different among the various carmakers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back