Valv NextGen 5w-20, 7750 mi, 05 Ford Taurus 24v V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sample taken at OC.
  • This oil was about half 5w-20 and half 5w-30, based on what I had on hand. All was Valvoline NG Maxlife. New fill is NextGen (not Maxlife) and all 5w-20.
  • Filter used was a PureOne (not sure of the model number).
  • It appears the TBN and viscosity definitely benefited from adding make-up oil at about the 9 month point.
  • At this point, extending the OCI isn't really a priority as I drive so little I had a hard time putting 7500 mi on the car in a year.

As always, thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc are welcome.

OEprDIj.gif

I have some VNG 5w20 and 5w30 (regular...not Maxlife) from the Pep Boys 'Clearance' last year.
I'm thinking of running the 5w20 in my new 2016 Ford Escape 2.5.
How does this oil compare with Motorcraft 5w20...in your opinion??

Originally Posted By: pbm
I have some VNG 5w20 and 5w30 (regular...not Maxlife) from the Pep Boys 'Clearance' last year.

I stocked up on Valv NextGen during the clearances as well.

I have no experience with the Motorcraft 5w20 though I understand it's a fine oil. I'm sure you can find a virgin oil analysis at PQIA for both Valvoline and the Motorcraft.

That being said --- I have run Valvoline NextGen (and NG Maxlife) in two cars now and the results have been solid. I would recommend the Valv NG in your car without hestitation.

Sodium getting bigger and bigger with NG. Maybe it helps better on the re-refined oils. At least at Valvoline. I believe that Caterpillar and some UOA lab says the max sodium allowable is 200ppm (maybe for head gasket issues), but Im seeing more than 330 here.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama

I stocked up on Valv NextGen during the clearances as well.

I have no experience with the Motorcraft 5w20 though I understand it's a fine oil. I'm sure you can find a virgin oil analysis at PQIA for both Valvoline and the Motorcraft.

That being said --- I have run Valvoline NextGen (and NG Maxlife) in two cars now and the results have been solid. I would recommend the Valv NG in your car without hestitation.

Thanks PJA: I'm thinking of using the VNG dino as a 4 to 5K OCI oil until the engine is broken in (at about 10K) ....after that I plan on using synthetic because the 'belly pan' makes oil changes a PITA...

Me too. It's just sitting in my stash begging to get into the game. Good run OP.

I cant believe your having to add so much oil at such short intervals. That would concern me enough to go to a heavier oil or try another brand. No car should be using a qt between changes with that mileage.

I don't find 1.5qt / 7500mi. to be excessive at all.

I just hit 2k into my OCI on my '02 Tribute (same engine) and have already added a quart of makeup. The motor spends a lot of time at WOT and high RPM however, as it's grossly underpowered in that particular vehicle, so that may explain a little more consumption that average.

Almost every car/truck I've owned has needed some top-up in between oil changes, usually a quart or so every 3-5k. Thus, I don't see the oil consumption in question to be out of the ordinary. Additionally, 7500 miles a year seems to imply lots of short trips, which is harder on oil.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Sodium getting bigger and bigger with NG. Maybe it helps better on the re-refined oils. At least at Valvoline. I believe that Caterpillar and some UOA lab says the max sodium allowable is 200ppm (maybe for head gasket issues), but Im seeing more than 330 here.

Sodium is used as an additive in some oils. Some have 400-500ppm. Valvoline uses sodium from 200-450ppm in their oils. Sodium is not an issue here. If it were a head gasket there would be a high potassium number along with antifreeze showing up in the UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back