Valv MaxLife NextGen 5w-25, 7500mi, 05 Taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notes:
  • This oil was all Valvoline Maxlife NextGen - half 5w-30, half 5w-20. Noted that on the sample slip.
  • Sample taken at oil change, which is when I noticed I had let the oil level get low (thread here). Only drained about 4 quarts from a 5.5 - 6 qt sump.
  • Not thrilled about the iron level but everything else looks good to me. Probably would have helped if I kept it topped off.
  • Filter for this run was a good ol Purolator L24651 (replaced with a PL24651 at the change).
  • Despite Blackstone's last comment, I probably won't go over 8k on my next OCI. Right now I can't see putting more than that on this car in a year.

MVp7AM4.gif

Looks good to me. That iron level at 7500 miles is not a problem. Great report for a vehicle approaching 100K.

Wow! Silicon was cut by more than half... Thanks for sharingl, nice report.

Was your previous oil Maxlife as well? I don't like the additives level decrease: 10% (calcium) and 20% (zinc and phosphorus). Combining with 1.5 quarts oil consumption, I would start worrying about clogging oil drainage and oil rings.
Which oil did you use before? I mean 2-3-4-5 oil changes before that?

P.S. Any ideas where are lost 20% of additives? ;-)

Originally Posted By: timeau
Was your previous oil Maxlife as well? I don't like the additives level decrease: 10% (calcium) and 20% (zinc and phosphorus). Combining with 1.5 quarts oil consumption, I would start worrying about clogging oil drainage and oil rings.
Which oil did you use before? I mean 2-3-4-5 oil changes before that?

Yes, previous oil on the report was Valv NG Maxlife, exact same 50/50 weight blend.

2-3-4-5 oil changes before, this car was someone else's so I don't have that information.

After this run, I will have enough for one more run of Valv NG Maxlife. Once that is depleted, I will see what the best value synthetic is out there and switch to that.

And no, I have no idea where the 20% of additives went. I assume they just get depleted/used up/burned? I'm sure someone here can chime in with the answer.

I think I found the answer to your question here.

I know I learned a lot from this short 4 min video.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama

I think I found the answer to your question here.

I know I learned a lot from this short 4 min video.

Great video. But as you remember two situations are described there:
1. Chemical decomposition.
2. Sediments on the bottom of the barrel during strorage (definitely not your case) or rust preventing by creating a thin film.

In case of decomposition you would still see these elements on UOA (video tells about this). So I have a feeling that these elements "settled" on your pistons and rings. This is a varnish, and I would worry about it.

My personal opinion: use Liqui Moly Engine Flush (not Gunk!) when you change your oil next time. Just pour in into the engine, idle 15 minutes and drain the oil. Auto-RX could work too, but I think that it is not strong enough. Old school method is to add a half of quart of ATF into engine oil, but young people here don't like it.
Anyway, I would not let it be as is. I always consider oil consumption as a signal that significant expenses are coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back