Valuation of Deere 790 and x300

Looking at a house and they guy is including his tractors in the sale. I need help on valuation of these items. Did not know where to post and this section looked good.

JD 790 with bucket, bush hog and another attachment that looked like a giant rake (sorry I am not an expert)
JD x300

Both looked in great shape and well cared for, stored indoors. What value can I put on these?
PXL_20210108_175228855.jpg

PXL_20210108_175141793.jpg

To start on a valuation, need to know operating hours from hour meter and if possible, model year.
Yeah I neglected to get that, we were rushed and it was raining and I was wet and cold :(
I am now back in FL and there is no way to get the info right now. My gut tells me lowish hours and about 6-8 years old on the 790. the x300 looked to be newer. Approximations will help, just want an idea.

I purchased a used 2013 X300 (53 hours on meter) in 2017 for about $2100. Had the 48" deck, although the size of deck doesn't do much to change the overall price. Was fully serviced before I purdhased it. Had trouble finding one in the X300-series with low hours, , so it is possible I overpaid from a JD dealer. Private sale price would be less, most likely.

The tined rake you have is probably a rock rake.

Suggest you check out some JD dealer inventoryin the area or websites like tractorhouse.com to see if you can find similar tractors. Can't help with the JD 790 as I have no experience with it.

If you intend the purchase the property, I would also suggest waiting to sell either item as they will probably be valuable in cutting the acreage and maintaining any gravel driveways, etc.

Here's a tractorhouse listing for a low hour jD 790, outfitted with front loader and rotary cuttter (Enid, OK). They don't come cheap and generally hold their value well. Don't know how accurate these asking prices are, either.

2005 JOHN DEERE 790
Less than 40 HP Tractors
For Sale Price: USD $14,750
Hours: 314
Transmission Type: Synchro
Drive: MFWD
Loader: Yes
2005 John Deere 790 tractor with 300X loader and LX5 rotary cutter. Nice condition tractor with low hours! Tractor is on consignment, no financing available. Does appear to have a slight leak on front axle as pictured. Everything else looks great

Here's a tractorhouse listing for a low hour jD 790, outfitted with front loader and rotary cuttter (Enid, OK). They don't come cheap and generally hold their value well. Don't know how accurate these asking prices are, either.

2005 JOHN DEERE 790
Less than 40 HP Tractors
For Sale Price: USD $14,750
Hours: 314
Transmission Type: Synchro
Drive: MFWD
Loader: Yes
2005 John Deere 790 tractor with 300X loader and LX5 rotary cutter. Nice condition tractor with low hours! Tractor is on consignment, no financing available. Does appear to have a slight leak on front axle as pictured. Everything else looks great

I'd say that's pretty close to right. I'm in the market for a 30ish HP tractor with a loader and I can tell you that around here the sell instantly if the price is anything close to reasonable.. I priced a new kioti and mahindra today.. Ouch.

So if I am generous I can value everything at ~20k? there are also many Stihl chainsaws, trimmers, blowers and a push mower and some other random stuff

I think you can establish 16-17K based on the info above. Jumping to 20K based on some number of OPE might be a stretch. Used OPE prices can start at half or less of original MSRP or sale prices. Without discussing exact numbers and condition, it is hard to establish any valuation for the OPE.

Just found out it also includes a Gator CX
Here is a low hour price from tractorhouse.com. The second one listed was about $3950 but had over 1000 hours on it.

pictures.png
2013 JOHN DEERE GATOR CX
Utility Utility Vehicles
For Sale Price: USD $5,350
Hours: 105
Drive: 2 WD
Serial Number: 1M00CXRAVDM110868
Condition: Used
2013 JD CX GATOR, REAR HITCH, DELUXE LIGHT KIT, TURN SIGNALS, KNOBBY TIRES, VERY NICE UNIT! 2013 JD CX GATOR Tire Type: Turf

Thank you for the replies, I have a pretty good feeling on the value of this stuff now. It's good in a way that if we do get this place I will not have to worry about the yard equipment. I was looking forward to getting a Kubota tractor but ouch the $$ of this stuff is blowing my mind.

I found out that the rake attachment is a dethatcher
48" and 60" bushog
300 loader for the 790
rotary spreader
stihl chainsaw, blower string trimmer and blade trimmer
troy bilt mower

Just to add info to this because it is already basically solved but I got the hours for the tractor
790 = 376
gator = 180
battery was dead in the x300

still haggling on this house

Any updates on the tractors and house?

That JD 790 looks really nice. Definitely a keeper. Anything of that HP nowadays would have an ECM, a diesel particulate filter and sensors.

Can’t speak for JD, but Kubota had issues with a few of their models with an engine of this size. On the tractor similar to the 790, rather than them owning up to the mistake, they discontinued the model. (New hood shape and badging as well as a different engine.. same overall tractor).

Reactions: JC1
I could likely sell my JD750 for about $8-9K with it's loader and backhoe.

I think the older units are in demand more than ever due to the lack of emissions equipment and DPF.

I think the older units are in demand more than ever due to the lack of emissions equipment and DPF.
Something that size would exempt. 26.5 hp and below wouldn’t have it.

Something that size would exempt. 26.5 hp and below wouldn’t have it.
I don't know for sure as I'm not in the market for a new tractor and haven't done the research, but I do know my friends JD has the modern version of my 3T80 1.3L 3 cylinder (3TNV80F) and it's a Tier 4 Final engine with emissions.

Correct, which is why I said a modern tractor the size of my 750 are in more demand due to lack of emissions, at least in my neck of the woods.
My 750 is the same size (not engine displacement and less HP) as the OP's 790. I currently have a #67 Loader and a CC Kelly & son backhoe.

Last edited:

Correct, which is why I said a modern tractor the size of my 750 are in more demand due to lack of emissions, at least in my neck of the woods.
My 750 is the same size (not engine displacement and less HP) as the OP's 790. I currently have a #67 Loader and a CC Kelly & son backhoe.
I could have very well misread your post, but I thought you meant “high demand.. older machine”.

Anyways, you are absolutely correct.

Back