Valero fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I`m sorry if this has been asked before (I did a search) but is that Valero gas any good? Reason I`m asking is because their has been so many of them popping up in my area.We dont get the good gasoline here where i live i.e BP,Chevron etc.

Around here I cannot tell the difference between them and most other gas, Murphy's, Exxon, etc. They have taken over most of all the old Diamond Shamrock stations plus their own. They don't advertise using any special additives, but charge like they are a Shell or a Chevron, hence I do not view them as a value leader.
The only gas I avoid religiously is Racetrack.

Originally Posted By: jmac
Around here I cannot tell the difference between them and most other gas, Murphy's, Exxon, etc. They have taken over most of all the old Diamond Shamrock stations plus their own. They don't advertise using any special additives, but charge like they are a Shell or a Chevron, hence I do not view them as a value leader.
The only gas I avoid religiously is Racetrack.

Racetrack huh? Well thats one we dont have around here.I really wish we had some BP`s,or Chevrons.

LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114
I`m sorry if this has been asked before (I did a search) but is that Valero gas any good? Reason I`m asking is because their has been so many of them popping up in my area.We dont get the good gasoline here where i live i.e BP,Chevron etc.

Valero is the company that bought Diamond Shamrock back in 2001. Headqurartered in San Antonio, major refineries in Corpus Christi and the Houston/Baytown area and elsewhere. I just did some googling, and they are actually the largest refiner (by volume) in the North America, so chances are you've already used Valero-refined fuel. Valero bought Diamond Shamrock many years before they started replacing the Shamrock name with Valero on retail outlets. For some reason, a lot of people think Valero is Venezuelan, but that's Citgo. Valero is a US company, always has been.

I've used their fuel regularly since the 80s and find it to be just fine, better than some. It certainly doesn't ping, rattle, hesitate, vapor lock, etc. any worse than Chevron, Shell, or Exxon. I don't know how its detergency would be if you used it exclusively for years, but I've never had any problems at all. That's one reason I use multiple brands, I figure switching fuel detergent packages routinely helps cover of any weakness in any one company's detergent package. One fuel that immediately and consistently causes any of my cars to run poorly is Conoco. Their real-world octane rating seems far lower than the others (according to the calibrated ear ping-o-meter applied to my '66 440) despite the same rated octane as other brands.

Last edited:
Some good information their magnum.I bet that 440 hasnt run its best since the demise of leaded fuel right?

I started using Valero fuel (almost exclusively) a couple of years ago when they took over all the Mobil stations. At that time they were a few cents a gallon cheaper than Exxon, Shell, Lukoil etc...but have since come up to the others in price.
I haven't had one problem with Valero and I like the fact that there is no mention of being "Ethanol enhanced". Because the prices are now the same I will use Exxon, Shell, Sunoco etc...if convenient.

I thik there's a Valero refinery in Memphis.It was once called MAPCO.Still a butt load of MAPCO stores in and around Memphis.

All my local Mobils became Chevron, which is great news due to the use of Techron in all grade of their gas. I appreciate 440's info on Valero. All this time I purposely avoided all Valeros - even driving in "E" to the next exit to get gas because I was told Valero was owned by Hugo Chavez and that the Valero name was replacing the Citgos to fool us. I haven't seen a citgo in quite some time come to think of it.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
All my local Mobils became Chevron, which is great news due to the use of Techron in all grade of their gas. I appreciate 440's info on Valero. All this time I purposely avoided all Valeros - even driving in "E" to the next exit to get gas because I was told Valero was owned by Hugo Chavez and that the Valero name was replacing the Citgos to fool us. I haven't seen a citgo in quite some time come to think of it.

Thats okay,I thought Valero was a Mexican fuel!! And we all know how [censored] that fuel is.

My Father owned a Esso/Exxon gas station from 1954-1979 and then he retired. I worked with him during the summers when I was a teen. About a year ago, I was visiting the old neighborhood(haven't driven down there in 20 years) and where his Station was in now a Valero. Recently, while watching the HISTORY CHANNEL, they had a segment on about refinerys. Valero was the refinery that the History Channed toured for their story. Turns out, that Valero has the largest refinery in the U.S. according to this segment.

I've tried the brand also and have found it be OK in both my car and truck combined. I have heard/read that it is the largest refinery out their so it may be a plus for them as a whole. I can't say anything about how much detergency is but one can always toss in a big bottle of Techron now and then to compensate. Most of the time that's what I do anyway regardless of the brand of gas I use.

In the city of Los Angeles allot of stations are converting over to Valero so IF they continue to spread all over the city sooner or later I'll have one in my nieghborhood. Currently I use ARCO so figure it can't be any worse than that.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango
I've tried the brand also and have found it be OK in both my car and truck combined. I have heard/read that it is the largest refinery out their so it may be a plus for them as a whole. I can't say anything about how much detergency is but one can always toss in a big bottle of Techron now and then to compensate. Most of the time that's what I do anyway regardless of the brand of gas I use.

In the city of Los Angeles allot of stations are converting over to Valero so IF they continue to spread all over the city sooner or later I'll have one in my nieghborhood. Currently I use ARCO so figure it can't be any worse than that.

Durango

Oh man ARCO?? We used to have that here in Nazareth,and it was horrible!
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
Lexus114,

Don't knock ARCO. I admit when it was owned by ARCO it was pretty horrible gasoline but now that BP runs it their gas had been much better in quality and price.

Durango

Citgo pulled out of the midwest several years ago. Most Citgo branded stations starting calling themselves by other names, like "Woodys", etc. Said they weren't making any money. Not sure at the time if that included Texas.

In my area, Citgo was buying fuel out of the from other refiners, anyway, and had no supply from Venezuela, anyway.

Have used Valero and its predecessors; have seen no issues with their fuel.

Down where we are you have to go out of your way not to buy Valero fuel. We've burned it for some years and nary a whimper from the cars. I do use FP60 in every tank though.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
One fuel that immediately and consistently causes any of my cars to run poorly is Conoco. Their real-world octane rating seems far lower than the others (according to the calibrated ear ping-o-meter applied to my '66 440) despite the same rated octane as other brands.

Yeah, my dad has a 2000 heads/cam Formula that was dynoed on Shell 93. It pings on Conoco as well as the Exxon pink premium. Don't know why. All are 10% ethanol

Originally Posted By: Durango
Lexus114,

Don't knock ARCO. I admit when it was owned by ARCO it was pretty horrible gasoline but now that BP runs it their gas had been much better in quality and price.

Durango

Oh,I didnt realize that.Thanks Durango.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back