Valero fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
(Valero's) real-world octane rating seems far lower than the others (according to the calibrated ear ping-o-meter applied to my '66 440) despite the same rated octane as other brands.

The octane rating on the pump is the average of two different ratings, the motor octane rating and the research octane rating. Some engines do better if the M is higher than the R; some do better if R is higher. The average is still the same. Different refiners will have slightly different blends.

We have a few Valero stations here in Washington State, but no Valero refinery closer than California. Who knows who they're buying their gasoline from to sell in these stations? Our refineries are Shell, Tesoro, BP's ARCO, ConocoPhillips, and small U.S. Oil & Refining.

Valero refineries are set-up to use the lower grade sour crude. Does that make a better or worse end product...?

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Quote:
(Valero's) real-world octane rating seems far lower than the others (according to the calibrated ear ping-o-meter applied to my '66 440) despite the same rated octane as other brands.

The octane rating on the pump is the average of two different ratings, the motor octane rating and the research octane rating. Some engines do better if the M is higher than the R; some do better if R is higher. The average is still the same. Different refiners will have slightly different blends.

We have a few Valero stations here in Washington State, but no Valero refinery closer than California. Who knows who they're buying their gasoline from to sell in these stations? Our refineries are Shell, Tesoro, BP's ARCO, ConocoPhillips, and small U.S. Oil & Refining.

Ken2,

They get it pumped up to you some how. When I can't say.

Valero down here in California is OK gas. None of my cars/trucks have any issues using it. Pretty cheap now but can be one of the highest around compared to ARCO.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back