Val Con 5w30, 5585 miles, '06 Caravan 3.3V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting my first UOA. Hope I did it correctly!

The one thing that jumps out at me is the difference in TBN between the two samples. The more recent sample did have a quart added probably 3/4 of the way through the interval but I wouldn't have expected it to make THAT big a difference. Anyone got comments regarding that or anything else?

As I said, I added a quart during the interval but I wouldn't have expected that big a difference. Maybe I needed to add a quart last time and therefore that sample got used up more quickly, I don't know.

Originally Posted By: ruxCYtable
As I said, I added a quart during the interval but I wouldn't have expected that big a difference. Maybe I needed to add a quart last time and therefore that sample got used up more quickly, I don't know.

That has to be a lab error. The TBN on the data sheets aren't even that high for valvoline conventional, maxlife,or synpower.

I have read other posts that said [censored] might not be the best lab to use. I question the TBN number as well. Also, the previous sample I sent both cars in at the same time. Both came back high on copper. This struck me as odd, like they had a problem with their equipment or something. So this TBN issue is about the third time I've gotten what I considered to be a questionable result. What other labs should I consider?

Originally Posted By: 77GrandPrix
Was the previous sample Valvoline Conv. as well?
Yes it was

If I remember correctly the SN version of valvoline, the ONLY one with moly is maxlife. The regular conventional shouldnt have any in it, as for the SM im not sure if it had much moly or not.

Originally Posted By: volk06
If I remember correctly the SN version of valvoline, the ONLY one with moly is maxlife. The regular conventional shouldnt have any in it, as for the SM im not sure if it had much moly or not.

Also, the conventional Valvoline didn't have that much Zinc.

I had TBN's of 7-10.0 after 3,000 miles with constant oil top offs. Of course in my defense, i was adding Amsoil's best oil which had a TBN of 12-13.0 or so.

This report's TBN seems a little high for dino oil.

Sorry been away for a few days. Lab containers.

Oh man, come to think of it, the makeup quart I added was MaxLife. (I don't worry about mixing oils in the grocery getter). Would that account for the moly?

Last edited:
Wow Valvoline has moly now. I am sure thrilled to see this. But then again it is Blackstone and we all know......
34.gif

Yes it was

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Wow Valvoline has moly now. I am sure thrilled to see this. But then again it is Blackstone and we all know......
34.gif

Yes it was
That's why I asked for someone to suggest another lab but no one answered!

This is one of many: [qhttp://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2153901 Terry Dyson is more money but wrong info is also more money.
smile.gif
uote=ruxCYtable]
Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
34.gif

Yes it was
That's why I asked for someone to suggest another lab but no one answered! [/quote]

I use Polaris Labs. No idea what smaller lots cost as I order 10 sample kits including TBN for $172.

As to how thorough they are. They did catch that the sample of Rotella T3 I accidentally labeled as Triple Protection was inconsistent for the stated lubricant. It had Moly and less Boron.

They are also ISO 17025 A2LA accredited.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who replied. I enjoyed reading the responses. After reading them, and a couple PMs I received, I decided to contact Black Stone. They agreed the test looked odd and offered my next UOA at no charge. I appreciate their customer service and everyone here at BITOG! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back