vacuum tube stereo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a vintage GE tube stereo amplifier G7600 and I know there's a few audiophiles floating around here. Any recommendations on where to send it for full restoration (excluding cosmetics)? It's working, but the pots need some serious cleaning. I'd like to replace the caps and rectifier while I'm at it. This project will be my tax refund gift to me.

sorry, you too far away from me, otherwise, I would have perform the restoration job for you.

Your best bet is to find a local audio restorer or go online and shop for one.

Good luck.

Q.

Is it tube rectified or solid state rectified? I've never worked on a tube stereo before but I used to have a Marshall JCM800 that I got cheap and rebuilt. As far as pots and things go, I would highly highly recommend matching the k-ohm resistance and getting A (audio taper) and not B(linear taper) from a guitar and amp parts supplier like Stewart Macdonald or Tube Depot. They will have well made stuff to help it last as long as possible before the next resto.

Also stay well away from any of the capacitors if you do it yourself. I got the
eek.gif
knocked out of me by one of the big ones on my amp. It can kill you, so be careful.

pic as follows:

http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/376/2016.html

IMO it's a gorgeous piece, sounds should be quite alright (maybe a bit warm/mushy but hey! typical of the tube amp sounds from the late 50s (believe to be made around 1959 to around 1963). Runs on 6V6 push-pull if memory serves.

All capacitors need a once-over (replace them with metal-film polypropylenes, electrolytics need load teats (high voltage ones) to determine their state; low voltage ones (typically used on biasing portion, etc.) needs to be replaced.

and the list goes on...

Don't let it go bud. These gems are difficult to come by nowadays and worth cherishing.

Q.

Nice, I have a Dynakit that looks very similar to that GE unit that I have to rebuild with a 'restoration' kit, new board, new caps, pots, a few others things.

Me and my brother are into tube audio, his income better suits his hobbies, however.
frown.gif
He has Zu Druids, turning Vinyls, ran by an 'Audio Fidelity' tube amp. He also is running a mediocre pre-amp, as we built a 'Cornet' kit a few years ago that he still hasn't finished building the case, but it sounds FANTASTIC. His system would leave you in awe after a well mastered Vinyl record.

There are a number of guys who work on the vintage equipment-just google "vintage radio repair" or go to some of the vintage radio discussion forums and you'll find.

I do my own work, and if you have the time, tools and a manual it's not very difficult.

Originally Posted By: Red00Jetta
eek.gif
knocked out of me by one of the big ones on my amp. It can kill you, so be careful.

It takes just a little common sense. I've recapped a number of vintage radios and just discharge them before I start working.

I've been doing repairs on tube radio and audio equipment for many years. I'm located in Southern California. If I can help you, please let me know. Harry

Looks like a very cool retro piece.

I still remember "home theatre" shopping with my dad as a kid. He was/ is big into this sort of thing. The place he bought our TV had a whole bunch of retro looking vacuum tube stuff. I remember his saying "dont touch" several times!
laugh.gif

As a kid, I just assumed they were fancy lights and had no purpose.
27.gif

Now I feel really old,remembering the days of tube testers in some stores,,wow....somewhere in the 60s.

DeOxit will likely clean the pots just fine. There is a cleaning DeOxit, and a lubricating DeOxit to keep the pots working well.

If you've not worked around somewhat high voltages before, you should acquaint yourself with proper safety techniques.

That said, you can easily do this job yourself. Find all the grounds, break them loose, and retighten them.

Capacitors can be obtained online pretty easy. Disc ceramics will work fine for the bypasses. Signal coupling caps should be better quality, but it's silly to spend a small fortune on them like so many audiophiles do - the quality of the output transformers are the limiting factor on the ultimate sound quality of the amplifier, and you're likely stuck with whatever GE put in there.

personally, I don't have a dream system at all, at least not anymore.

As I gradually venture deep into the unknown, I realised the following:

(1) I luv BBC voiced speakers (recently also includes speakers whose been co-developed by NRC in Canada). Speakers like 80s KEF, 90s Epos, and recently Energy are my faves.

(2) I can design/make tube amps that give excellent soundstage ...(ref: "Buddhafied Loftin-White 2A3 amp, by Quest).

(3) NFB are primarily used in preamp/small signal/large gain stage controls.

(4) I like direct coupling of tube gain stages.

(5) I have been into tape recordings (tape decks, etc.) since I was 8. Recently, I found a prestine TEAC 450 (over 40+yrs old) that I fell in-luv all over again. (I have a collection of tape decks, from Technics to Akai GX heads to Naks, etc.)

(6) I still spin vinyls, and recently stocked up on V15-typeIII replacement stylus, enough to keep me spinning until I kick the bucket.

(7) I can tolerate MOS-FET based SS designs. I cannot tolerate bi-polar Class-B types of amps due to distortions in the high-order level...

(8) I still value some of the 80s and 90s tube amps, such as AR SP12, S-F Anthem, Counterpoints, etc.

lastly:

(9) I cherished the vulnerable, yet absolutely glorious sounding single-ended amps driven using DHTs. 45, 2A3, are simply out-of-this-world beautiful. 300B is a different beast, however, and when treated with care---can sound equally glorious...

Q.

I
Originally Posted By: Quest
personally, I don't have a dream system at all, at least not anymore.

As I gradually venture deep into the unknown, I realised the following:

(1) I luv BBC voiced speakers (recently also includes speakers whose been co-developed by NRC in Canada). Speakers like 80s KEF, 90s Epos, and recently Energy are my faves.

(2) I can design/make tube amps that give excellent soundstage ...(ref: "Buddhafied Loftin-White 2A3 amp, by Quest).

(3) NFB are primarily used in preamp/small signal/large gain stage controls.

(4) I like direct coupling of tube gain stages.

(5) I have been into tape recordings (tape decks, etc.) since I was 8. Recently, I found a prestine TEAC 450 (over 40+yrs old) that I fell in-luv all over again. (I have a collection of tape decks, from Technics to Akai GX heads to Naks, etc.)

(6) I still spin vinyls, and recently stocked up on V15-typeIII replacement stylus, enough to keep me spinning until I kick the bucket.

(7) I can tolerate MOS-FET based SS designs. I cannot tolerate bi-polar Class-B types of amps due to distortions in the high-order level...

(8) I still value some of the 80s and 90s tube amps, such as AR SP12, S-F Anthem, Counterpoints, etc.

lastly:

(9) I cherished the vulnerable, yet absolutely glorious sounding single-ended amps driven using DHTs. 45, 2A3, are simply out-of-this-world beautiful. 300B is a different beast, however, and when treated with care---can sound equally glorious...

Q.

I too,have a soft spot in my heart for vintage tape decks. I have an Aiwa F990,a 70s era Pioneer (one of those huge silver ones with the blue fluorescent recording level meters),and an early 80s era Technics with the huge needle meters. I've always wanted a 70s era reel to reel.

Nice - get that up and running good & enjoy. Appreciate going back a little in time with good sound.

All I have in use are SET tube amps for my sound systems for home. Probably use my 2A3 amps the most.
Only other thing tubes are a tubed phono stage (12AX7 pair) and a Kenwood TS-830S HF Ham radio.
Although I still have vintage integrated receivers, plus separates, I'm stuck on the tube stuff for my home stereo. So the other stuff collects dust.
I still play LPs (JVC QL-Y7)and get odd looks/comments from the youngsters.
Saw a segment on TV about LPs and tube gear sales climbing.

Originally Posted By: Red00Jetta
eek.gif

What time period are we talking for the complete receiver (capacitors and all) to lose their charge once the plug is pulled?

Of all the turntables I have (quite a few), my Linn with Audio Technica medium-mass broadcast grade arm gets used the least nowadays, for I have followed the cult RE: Sony biotracer arm, and am using a PS-X600 + Shure V15-type3 (speaking about going retro, that cart body is over 40 yrs old now, still sounds warm and nice with decent body and definition for MM type). I also follow the tangental crowd and have a few Sony PS-LX500/510/520 in my possession, although not frequently used (some needs rebuilding/re-cal, which I don't have time for at this moment).

My Epos are all boxed up for safety reasons; currently using Energy RC10. on Pioneer A35R integrated. My tube amps (B+ end in-excess of 450V, mind you though, this is direct-coupled), so I have to hide it away from my kid's itchy fingers (and mommy Quest would scream if I manage to electrocute one or more of our Quest-jrs). It only gets to see the light of day once every several months, or when I have bunch of audiofreak friends coming over for listening sessions + glass of Canadian whiskey..

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back