Vaccum Oil Change Pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
anybody have any experience with these? Is the quality of oil change as good as letting the oil drain out the botom?

I have one of these and I love it.

It works very well on my BMW, my wife's acura and my chev truck.

I've tried it on other vehicles and it doesn't always pull out all the oil. It just depends on the set-up of your dipstick tube and your drain pan.

On the BMW, I get more out using the oil extractor than by conventional draining. This method is used at the BMW dealer as well.

Makes oil changes very tidy an quick. I strongly recommend one!

On most inboard boat engines dipstick tube goes to bottom of pan and you can hook directly to tube. If tube only goes into pan you must use plastic tube inserted into dipstick tube to reach bottom of pan. Either way, WORKS GREAT!!
cool.gif

Brand is Vacula, don't have model # handy.

Bob

quote:

Originally posted by ssj4:
Good news for my bimmers, wonder if it will work on my new vette

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/2539/untitled17rm.jpg

BTW what is the brand/model/etc?

ssj4, NICE! Corvette
patriot.gif
BMW's
cheers.gif
German Cars You Know!

What Oils are you using? Presume Mobil 1 5W30, in the Corvette, does it still use a 4 qt. sump? The BMW's?

I use a vacuum hand pump I bought from Harbor Freight, for under $10. I use it more for ATF changes, than for engine oil changes.
burnout.gif

I've been using the vacuum pump method (the Topsider, it's called) for a couple of years now. It's not laziness! For those of us with no garage (and therefore no place to store ramps and other equipment), not having to slide under the car to remove first a sound-encapsulating panel, then the drain plug, is a blessing.

And what if your plastic drain pan begins to leak during the oil change? It happened to me. I bought the Topsider the next day, and all I have to do now is button up the metal can and take it to the recycling center.

Plus the pump can be used to drain other fluids, in your car or around the house.

Opting for convenience, in itself, is not laziness.

-- Paul W.

quote:

Originally posted by pastmaster:

quote:

Originally posted by ssj4:
Good news for my bimmers, wonder if it will work on my new vette

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/2539/untitled17rm.jpg

BTW what is the brand/model/etc?

ssj4, NICE! Corvette
patriot.gif
BMW's
cheers.gif
German Cars You Know!

What Oils are you using? Presume Mobil 1 5W30, in the Corvette, does it still use a 4 qt. sump? The BMW's?

I use a vacuum hand pump I bought from Harbor Freight, for under $10. I use it more for ATF changes, than for engine oil changes.
burnout.gif

Mobile 1 5-30 in everything right now, + BG MOA. May move the M3 up to 0-40, as 10-40 was the spec back when I bought it, 20-50 in hotter climates.

The C6 holds about 5.5 quarts, so that may tell you the wet sump (oil pan?) size, I don't know off hand.

Well, I use fumoto valves for the oil changes, easier then a pump IMO and I use the pump for tranny fluid changes where they have no plug,a and rear ends etc.

Got mine a marine supply works on power steering,tranny ,fuel filter on my PSD(I dont want fuel on the driveway) plus the boat still finding new uses.Just make sure the fluid is hot as possible.

I guess I figure that I need to pull off the filter anyway, so why not drain the oil at the same time?

I suppose that not all vehicles require crawling under the motor for a filter removal like my Fords do. In that case I see the merit of a vac pump.

I use a Pela 6.5 liter pump on my BMW. I bought it from Overton's boating supplies. It works well for me, the oil filter is in a housing on the top front of the engine. I never have to get under the car. I would do the transmission fluid too if it had a dip stick.

ccdhowell:

I've been looking at the same extractor. Is it loud?

I was thinking of the getting the manual pump one, but I am a sucker for anything pneumatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back