V6 intake manifold

Spotted this guy while out for a walk yesterday evening.

20220908_192112.jpg

I would have thought it was off an inline 6, but it says V6 right on it.

Any V6 IM I've ever worked on has two banks of three ports each, not six in a row.

What's it off of, and can anyone explain the configuration?

Thanks.

The VR6 is a great motor. Although it varied slightly over the years, the one in our Passat is a 12.5 degree vee. VW came up with this design so they could mount a six transversely. The narrow vee angle allows for both a narrow and short block.

Scott

A VR6 head gasket.
View attachment 116294
also made developing their W12 and W16 engines a tad bit easier...
the w12 is....basically...2 15 degree VR6's at a 72 degree angle from each other with a common crank

with the W16 being...basically... 2 VR8's at a 90 degree angle

Last edited:
I bet that W16 is cheap to rebuild. I'm sure the timing chains are very simple as well. 😉
considering the vehicles it goes into are north of a million... and at one point you had to ship it back to France for service...
$25k annual change of all the fluids. Tires run $38k a set of 4, and the wheels have to be replaced every 10k mi for another $50k..

if you can afford the car, you can likely afford the maintenance costs...

considering the vehicles it goes into are north of a million... and at one point you had to ship it back to France for service...
$25k annual change of all the fluids. Tires run $38k a set of 4, and the wheels have to be replaced every 10k mi for another $50k..

if you can afford the car, you can likely afford the maintenance costs...
That would go nicely in the driveway, complementing the '09 Mazda5 and the '07 Dodge Grand Caravan. ;)

Let's see - two oil changes a year per vehicle @ $25 - 30 per vehicle, then there's brake fluid, ATF for the Dodge and MTF for the 5, coolant drain & fill, PSF, it all adds up ... perhaps a bit short of $50K, though.

Back