V6 Camry TB?

Is this harder or easier than the I4? I believe it’s 1MZ-FE for the V6, and I know it’s 5S-FE for the I4.

I ask because while I feel I could do the I4 again, it was super annoying—no space, the front of the motor is right against the wheel well. I’m hoping the V6 could gain a much appreciated inch?

[I know V6 has more fiddly parts in the way, and I might nix the idea once I watch a vid on the subject. Also less space all around, the I4 is going to be much more DIY friendly on pretty much everything else—only reason I’d contemplate the V6 is the sheer thrill of acceleration.]

Is this harder or easier than the I4? I believe it’s 1MZ-FE for the V6, and I know it’s 5S-FE for the I4.

I ask because while I feel I could do the I4 again, it was super annoying—no space, the front of the motor is right against the wheel well. I’m hoping the V6 could gain a much appreciated inch?

[I know V6 has more fiddly parts in the way, and I might nix the idea once I watch a vid on the subject. Also less space all around, the I4 is going to be much more DIY friendly on pretty much everything else—only reason I’d contemplate the V6 is the sheer thrill of acceleration.]
Dealerships are not interested in DIY they are interested in $200 an hour in labor!

Dealerships are not interested in DIY they are interested in $200 an hour in labor!
Asking to gauge how much I want to do it myself. I do have a local garage which likely can do it (would be shocked if they couldn’t), but honestly if I were to buy a Camry this old (so as to use a TB) then I’ve gone down the beater route and want the cheapest set of wheels. Ergo, it’d have to be something I could do myself.

I don't think it's as easy as the 5SFE. I remember looking it up years ago when my brother had a Lexus ES300. Engine bay was more cramped too.

The 5S-FE is much easier. But I prefer to drive a 1MZ-FE/3MZ-FE powered Camry any day over a 5S-FE one. Much smoother with a broader torque curve.
Yeah the 5SFE is a slug. I wonder if mine was any different when new. I could probably use a new kick down cable, takes a lot of throttle to get it to jump down a gear. Would also be a lot nicer if it were a 6-speed auto, but that's too much technology for this old car.

Yeah the 5SFE is a slug. I wonder if mine was any different when new. I could probably use a new kick down cable, takes a lot of throttle to get it to jump down a gear. Would also be a lot nicer if it were a 6-speed auto, but that's too much technology for this old car.

I believe it's a Throttle Valve Cable to control Line Pressure & upshifting/downshifting is ECU controlled. Though your Camry likely needed Throttle Cable & Throttle Valve Cable adjustment long ago.

I thought the 5sfe had a pretty flat torque curve. Well, as in, the poor hamster flatlined a few years ago…

Mine seems to shift down reasonable well, bit slow on upshift when cold, but not too bad. Probably not far off from adjustment though as it does seem not quite as good as it used to be.

It’s a little tricky lining up the rear(RH) cam on a MZ engine, there isn’t a clear line of sight. Else, it’s similar except an hydraulic tensioner is used, along with no oil pump O-ring to worry about.

Back