USS John Warner rollout...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty Cool. My time in the Service was all spent on Submarines. USS Michigan and USS Alaska.

I still work at Subase Bangor.

The Virginia Class is pretty awesome machine.

I worked at Newport News shipyard. Toured a Los Angeles class once. They are certainly awesome.

I just hate when they interrupt a naming scheme for a class. The only Los Angeles class not named for a city was the Hyman G. Rickover. The only Ohio-class not named for a state was the Henry M. Jackson. Now the only Virginia-class (so far) not named for a state is the John Warner.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I love the way we still keep our propeller design carefully concealed.

Another nearly undetectable warship hits the seas soon!

Not really concealed, it is that way by design.

Shrouded Screw

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I love the way we still keep our propeller design carefully concealed.

Another nearly undetectable warship hits the seas soon!

Not really concealed, it is that way by design.

Shrouded Screw

Agreed that it's a shrouded design, but there were front and aft covers that hid the screw itself. Until she's in the water, and the screw is hidden by the water, those covers will ensure that the screw will remain completely hidden from view.

Before my current assignment I was on the USS RHODE ISLAND. VA class boats are incredible machines...well, all US submarines are incredible, but the VA class takes it to a whole new level.

Interesting to see the huge budget that still is given for the US submarine force. Diverse mission set, for certain. Nuclear deterrence, mine warfare, anti-surface, anti-submarine, intel/surveillance/reconnaissance, special ops, strike... lots and lots of capabilities.

BowNisPar,
Where are you at now?

Came from Kings Bay to Ames, IA. My shore tour is as an NROTC Instructor at Iowa State. I'm transitioning into the Reserves after this tour...anybody have any job openings?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Agreed that it's a shrouded design, but there were front and aft covers that hid the screw itself.

Some of us still remember Toshiba.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Agreed that it's a shrouded design, but there were front and aft covers that hid the screw itself.

Some of us still remember Toshiba.
wink.gif

No doubt. I try my best not to buy anything Toshiba.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
BowNisPar,
Where are you at now?

Came from Kings Bay to Ames, IA. My shore tour is as an NROTC Instructor at Iowa State. I'm transitioning into the Reserves after this tour...anybody have any job openings?

You're in the Armory at ISU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back