USS Arizona memorial

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Very humbling photos of the names of the gallent men that are entombed in the USS Arizona. Of special note are the survivors that are entombed after their passing. The latest being GM3c Milhorn in 2021. I am.not aware how many if any USS Arizona survivors are still alive.

Lest we never forget.

PXL_20230510_223953847.jpg
PXL_20230510_224005066.jpg
PXL_20230510_224015970.jpg

Did you notice the oil smell from it still leaking at the bottom of the ocean?

Did you notice the oil smell from it still leaking at the bottom of the ocean?
No, but last time I visited the USS Arizona I did see a spot of oil in the ocean surface, and a few minutes later that spot was gone.

500,000 gallons

The ship once held about 1.5 million gallons of “Bunker-C” oil and the NPS estimates that 500,000 gallons remain within its hull. The Arizona continues to leak close to a gallon of oil every day.

The sole survivor from the USS Arizona is now Lou Conter, who is 101 and living in California.

Simple Google search

Both the History Channel and NEWSMAX often show documentaries on the USS Arizona.

Last edited:
I past by the memorial three times on Tiger Cruises when my son was in the USN. I sailed as a guest en-route from Pearl Harbor to San Diego, once on the USS Howard [DDG83], and twice on the USS Carl Vinson [CVN70]. Each time the sailors manned the rail and paid respect as we passed by. God Bless our troops.

For all the times the memorial has been featured, never have I seen a picture of the memorial's interior.
Thanks
Then it’s time to visit Oahu… 😉

Start with the NPS visit to USS Arizona.

Then go across the causeway to Ford Island, stop by the Pacific Air Museum. Then end up the visit on USS Missouri.

Spend a moment on the starboard side of turret 2...Right by the plaque where the surrender was signed, and look out over Arizona once more.

Totally worth it.

Not to personalize this too much....

Wifey (a nickname I don't use) and I have been working on things (house, family stuff..nothing bad) rather diligently and we realized a while back that the best memories we have are from traveling both lately and before we met.

She has mentioned Hawaii several times. I have no objection other than the singularity of the destination.
TRANSLATION: A whole lotta airplane time (something we're not crazy about because of airborne droplet-carried diseases and the steady stream of travel horror stories, and the possibility of monotony.

We must research activities and sights beforehand (duh).

My aunt traveled to Hawaii and Japan while serving (US Air Force) and her stories echo in my head every bit as much as those of my dad and uncle. Ha, they served in the Army and Navy, respectively.

Uncle likely didn't have occasion to enjoy the Pacific, busy as he was with Kamikaze planes crashing into his ship.

I made a trip there twenty five years ago when my son was stationed there with the Army. It is a humbling experience to visit the site of the USS Arizona.

Then it’s time to visit Oahu… 😉

Start with the NPS visit to USS Arizona.

Then go across the causeway to Ford Island, stop by the Pacific Air Museum. Then end up the visit on USS Missouri.

Spend a moment on the starboard side of turret 2...Right by the plaque where the surrender was signed, and look out over Arizona once more.

Totally worth it.
The dent from the kamikaze is excellent to see and a reminder of how sturdy those BB's really are.

[QUOTE="I When was that? Wife and I were there last May and toured it.
[/QUOTE]
end of feb 2019. Same year they had some rock slides and road closures.

That was a great trip. I really would have liked another week but it wasnt possible.

Back