USPS shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
What type of postage is most widely used in sending the oil sample? Should I package the blackstone labs cylinder in a box or envelope?

My last sample was sent USPS priority on monday, had my results wednesday. I used the cylinder with no box.
Sent a previous one regular usps. I think it took a bit longer, but I do not remember exactly.
They do seem a bit hesitant to ship those darn cylinders tho.

I send them 1st class in the cylinders only. The price is normally right around $1.50 give or take some cents based on how full the container is.

snoboy

exactly the same as snoboy.

i average around $1.53 a piece. (19 sent in so far)

depends on how much oil is in the sample. 1.52 to 1.56 range.

now here is the wierd thing: when i mail it. i have no problems at all at the counter. when my wife does it they always hassel her.

yes it is oil. but it is also in a ziploc bag and in a cylinder that i then tape shut as well. if oil comes out, they have bigger issues than my oil spill!!!

I mailed a sample off in their little cylindrical kit through the USPS in late Feb & the guy behind the counter held it like it had cooties. It took about 2 weeks to get there because the check didn't clear until almost mid March. I still don't have my sample report.
dunno.gif

USPS wouldn't take my cylinder even if I had "paperwork." I went to UPS and they wouldn't ship it either unless it was in a box.

I seriously recommend putting it in a box or it will get held for "security" reasons. It may cost you more but I've gotten all my UOAs from Blackstone the VERY day UPS said it would arrive.

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
USPS wouldn't take my cylinder even if I had "paperwork." I went to UPS and they wouldn't ship it either unless it was in a box.

I seriously recommend putting it in a box or it will get held for "security" reasons. It may cost you more but I've gotten all my UOAs from Blackstone the VERY day UPS said it would arrive.

]

What was their excuse for not taking it? Which office?

I went to a drug store that has a USPS in it (small office). When I showed it to them they first looked at me really weirdly then asked what was in it. I said used motor oil. Instantly: "We cannot ship that stuff." I said, I can get you paperwork which shows that this is approved... "We won't ship it."

I felt like a terrorist.
tongue.gif
So I walked out and went next door to the UPS. They were very very kind - boxed it up for me and have taken 3+ shipments (boxed) with no problems.

$$$ for syn, $$$ for uoa, $$$ for box with increased postage. this does not bold well for a frugal mind
lol.gif

Huh. I always use Blackstone's black plastic canister thing, put 5 stamps on it, and stick it in my mailbox. USPS has taken it every time.

jeff

quote:

Originally posted by greenjp:
Huh. I always use Blackstone's black plastic canister thing, put 5 stamps on it, and stick it in my mailbox. USPS has taken it every time.

jeff

Same here. 2x picked up in my mailbox, 2x dropped of in the bin inside the post office. Less than a week for the results.

Just put the stamps on it to come out to around 1.50 or 1.60, drop it off in the post office box and forget about it.

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
I went to a drug store that has a USPS in it (small office). When I showed it to them they first looked at me really weirdly then asked what was in it. I said used motor oil. Instantly: "We cannot ship that stuff." I said, I can get you paperwork which shows that this is approved... "We won't ship it."

I felt like a terrorist.
tongue.gif
So I walked out and went next door to the UPS. They were very very kind - boxed it up for me and have taken 3+ shipments (boxed) with no problems.

Obviously this is another case of a clueless employee spouting off incorrect information. Being it was a drugstore I would not pursue it, but if a real post office tried to pull that crap there should be a complaint filed. Postal employees(I am one of them) are not allowed to make up their own rules on what they will or will not accept in the mail. There are specific guidelines in manuals for that and if that does not make it clear then there are phone numbers for the employee to call and get an answer by someone who is trained to deal with these things. We are required to watch training videos on how to deal with hazardous materials. This information is on the videos. I have sent in oil samples to Blackstone 4 times and it cost $1.59 each time, even after the 1/8/06 rate increase.

when all else fails, use fedex. ups and usps wouldnt ship sealed motor oil quarts for me, i went to fedex and they didnt care and said they do it all the time.

Haven't been denied yet in about 5 samples...sometimes they ask what it is and hesitate for a split second but the next words out of their mouth is 1.59 please..well actually they ask me if I want stamps but that is for another story
wink.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

The UPS shipping is like $5.69 or something. A lot more than the $1.59 you guys with the USPS use...

I don't know if I want to risk putting that in my mailbox w/ stamps on it and not have it go through... Maybe I'll try it next time and fill 2 Blackstone UOA bottles...
tongue.gif
Sure would be nice shipping that for under $2!

I have never had a problem with the overpack bottle that Blackstone supplies. I put it in my mailbox, raise the flag and the mail carrier picks it up.

It guess maybe it helps that the mail carrier is a local guy who I have discussed UOA's with in the past.

If I take the black container to the window they hassle me. But if I drop it in the mail slot I have no problem, so far anyway. It use to be $1.52 but with the postage increase I'll have to see what the new rate is. I just weigh it on the scale in the lobby and If I don't have enough postage in stamps I buy them without telling them what's it for
grin.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back