USPS drivetrains....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of curiosity, does anybody know what drivetrains these vehicles use? I was just listening to one drive down the street and I couldn't hear it shift. It sounded like a CVT, but I would think they they would use a proven drivetrain. Anybody know?

I thought I read that the newer models were built on Ford Ranger chassis.

The sad shame now is nobody would have the wherewithall to make a new LLV based on simple RWD or FWD mechanicals.With todays complex engines (DOHC/DI/Drive by Wire/VVT) and idiotic electronics,there is no way anybody be it Ford/GM/Chrysler could devise a vehicle using current mechanicals marketed to the public today that could last 20+ years under similar abuse.Let alone the parts still all be readily available then (they seem to discontinue critical parts at 6 years or so). Imagine an Ecoboost Mustang based LLV? A Dodge Dart based LLV? A Chevy Cruze based LLV? Nope.Couldnt happen in these "advanced" times.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I always wondered why the Government with its CAFE and EPA isn't practicing what they preach and go electric.
The technology is proven over 6 decades by the Brits with their electric milk floats which is daily stop and go hundreds of times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_float

Because the Government has way to many Vehicles, and 50,000 government miles is like 150,000 normal people miles
smile.gif

I always wondered why the Government with its CAFE and EPA isn't practicing what they preach and go electric.
The technology is proven over 6 decades by the Brits with their electric milk floats which is daily stop and go hundreds of times.

The problem is where does the electricity come from to charge the batteries?

The answer to why they haven't changed is $$$ IMO. It's just like or similar to the military and their current 5.56mm cartridge and weapon platform. There was a deal a while ago where weapon manufacturers could submit a weapon for testing to compete for a contract to replace the current service rifle. Lots on really good weapons of various calibers were submitted but in the end the military decided to stay with what they had because of the $$$ they had in current weaponry, parts and equipment and the $$$ it would take to replace them and retrain personnel on use/operation, maintenance and service.

Originally Posted By: CT8

The problem is where does the electricity come from to charge the batteries?

LOL Ask the Golfer he spent 500 billion on solar panel investments in one company alone. You would think the Post Office could at least get some use out of the "investment" of tax payers money.
Maybe a windmill on top of every post office? That study should be worth a few billion to research.

Seriously. With the abundance of natural gas we should be building more gas fired energy plants along with smokeless coal and nuclear.
The US can produce all the electricity it needs cleanly and cheaply if the EPA was doing its job properly instead of enforcing an political agenda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_LLV

Quote:
The Grumman LLV's average EPA fuel economy is 17 miles per U.S. gallon (16 mpg city/18 mpg highway).[2] In actual use by the USPS, which includes extensive stop-and-go driving for residential delivery, average fuel economy is about 10 mpg.[9]

If you own 100,000 gas guzzlers, wouldn't you want to look at something more fuel efficient? Like hybrid, natural gas, or propane at least?\

Quote:
In fiscal year 2009, the USPS spent $524 million to repair its fleet of Grumman LLVs

That's over $5,000 per car per year. Either they are POS or USPS is being ripped off.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Most Postal Grumman trucks have either a GM 2.5L Iron Duke or 2.2L engine with a TH180 3 speed auto.

Exactly right. Several of my family members are USPS employees, one of which works with USPS mechanics. Some of the stories are funny, like having to re-weld brake pedal pivots because of usage.

I'm guessing why the OP didn't notice the LLV shift is because of the 3spd auto. You can hear the iron duke drone from a mile away. I swear some of the mufflers on LLVs are just hollow vessels.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
The sad shame now is nobody would have the wherewithall to make a new LLV based on simple RWD or FWD mechanicals.With todays complex engines (DOHC/DI/Drive by Wire/VVT) and idiotic electronics,there is no way anybody be it Ford/GM/Chrysler could devise a vehicle using current mechanicals marketed to the public today that could last 20+ years under similar abuse.Let alone the parts still all be readily available then (they seem to discontinue critical parts at 6 years or so). Imagine an Ecoboost Mustang based LLV? A Dodge Dart based LLV? A Chevy Cruze based LLV? Nope.Couldnt happen in these "advanced" times.

Ford Transit.

Originally Posted By: FFeng7
I thought I read that the newer models were built on Ford Ranger chassis.

If it looks like this, it is based on the Ranger...
7004686823_5d13b63afb_b.jpg

Those trucks have the 3.0L Vulcan FFV, and probably a 4R44E transmission. Notice it has the same wheels as a circa 2000 base model (XL) Ranger. They also have a Ranger steering wheel and column. I think (but am not positive) that these trucks have the Ranger 2WD's coil spring front suspension, but an Explorer-style spring under rear axle. Not sure if the axle is an 8.8 or 7.5.

Ones that look like this are typically S-10 based with an Iron Duke...
USPS-Mail-Truck.jpg

Though some with the old LLV body may be Fords as well...
Ford-Electric-LLV1.jpg

Notice the Ranger wheels. That one was apparently an electric model, but Ford took them back and replaced them with gas models when they discontinued the Ranger EV and all of the mechanical parts for it around 2002.

The LLV is still supported in GM's parts catalogs, but many of the parts have been discontinued, at least from GM. The last S-Series trucks (2005 Blazer) were produced a decade ago, and the Iron Duke has been out of production even longer, so the mechanical parts are being phased out by GM and are getting harder to come by. I am guessing the aftermarket has probably been providing most of the parts for these for a while now.

As Jarlaxle suggested, I wouldn't be surprised if small vans like the Transit Connect eventually fill this role as mechanical parts for the LLVs become harder to find.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Those trucks have the 3.0L Vulcan FFV

Wait, is this is the same 3.0L I4 sold as MerCruiser boat engine and GM industrial engine?

30_cover.jpg

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Those trucks have the 3.0L Vulcan FFV

Wait, is this is the same 3.0L I4 sold as MerCruiser boat engine and GM industrial engine?

30_cover.jpg

No, it's the Ford 3.0 Vulcan V6, with FFV capability. Same engine that's in my Ranger. That was the only FFV engine Ford had that was a bolt in engine for that platform. The gov't wanted to be able to run them on E85 I guess.

I've often also wondered why they turn the engine off for literally 5-10 seconds when they get out and put mail in the mailbox at each house. Either they have bulletproof batteries and starters or they replace them a lot. Also I doubt that saves enough gas to break even.

That must be a local thing. No mailboxes at the curb?

Around here they leave the truck running unless they actually get out of it. I imagine they turn the trucks off when they get out to reduce the risk of theft mostly. People will steal anything drivable. Just this week an ambulance was stolen from a hospital in northern AL, then found several hours later in Knoxville, TN. Where I work, someone stole an International delivery truck...it was also found in TN, but weeks later. Cops found a bunch of crack pipes and stuff in it. The truck was loaded with new car parts, but they didn't take any of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back