Using your computer for medical research

I lost both of my parents to cancer. Since my dad's death in 2002, I've been using my home and work desktop/laptop computers to help find treatments and cures for cancer. Right now I'm running Mapping Cancer Markers (MCM). This project is managed by the Krembil Research Institute affiliate with thr University of Toronto.

You can join the fight by going to the World Community Grid (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action). Just sign up and select which of the following projects you'd like to join:
- Mapping Cancer Markers
- OpenPandemics - COVID-19
- Africa Rainfall Project
- Microbiome Immunity Project
- Smash Childhood Cancer
- Help Stop TB.

Running any of these project will not harm your computer in anyway. The software knows what processor is in your computer and adjusts the percentage of unused processing power is uses. Please consider helping these important projects.

Thanks,
Mark

PS: I'm running an AMD Ryzen9 3900X (12 cores/24 processors) equipped computer. It sends MCM a result every 4 minutes. Your results may vary!

PPS The Krembil Research Institute has taken over the management of the World Community Grid from IBM.

Sorry to hear about your parents.

WCG is great. We even started a BITOG team on there many years ago. I still contribute my computer resources today, but my machine is fairly ancient....

Current BITOG team stats:

Last edited:
I should switch to team bitog

Screenshot_20210917-134414.jpg

I use Foldingathome
I was really big into that about a decade ago. We lost a lot of our teams folders when Bitcoin first started. Quite a few millionaires in that group now I am sure..
I did not think bitcoin would ever amount to anything, so kept doing folding@home. I had also done a little bit of Seti@home for a while too.
I have not folded in a long time, my old Phenom II x4 830 and MSI 460GTX HAWK card were getting very old in the tooth.
I do have a Ryzen 2600x and a 1060 6 gig that I should probably start folding on again. Maybe get me moving up out of 135,473 place

Back