using up odd qts in my beater

Status
Not open for further replies.
i often get lots of oil from a friend who works in a warehouse.
cases that have a leaker or broken box.
i had 5 odd qts on the shelf and hadnt got into the stash to get 5 that matched.
work van needed a change.
i used 1 m1 15w50,1 m1 ep 15w50,1 delo400 15w40,1 mc 5w20,and 1 redline 10w30.
got some weird looks over that.was told to kiss the seals bye bye.
i doubt it could be that bad.this van has run a mix of m1 15w50 and 10w30 and uses a qt in 5k.
how bad could it be?

What kind of van is this? That should make a 12w38. In all seriousness I can't imagine this causing any kind of problem.

My car went through 7 quarts since the last oil change. As I topped up, I used four different brands and four different viscosities. None of it made any noticeable change. Don't worry about it. I'm not saying it's the ideal thing to do, but I can't see it hurting much.

All those oils are supposed to be backward compatible with any API rated dino, syn or blend though, right?

quote:

Originally posted by kc8adu:
how bad could it be?

You tell me.
wink.gif
I used a mish-mash of five different brand remnants I found in my garage and got my best UOA to date. None of these garage finds were SM, but remarkably some were so old that the zinc and phosphorous levels measured by Blackstone were typical of those found in current SM motor oils. I coulda saved the API and automakers lotsa time and expense developing the SM spec...
lol.gif

[ July 05, 2006, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

i figured any modern oil i use is a big improvement on what was used when the truckm was new.
just got 4 more cases yesterday.i save the gallon/5qt jugs and dump the remaining contents of the leakers in them.so next change is gonna be exxon/m1/motorcraft/qs!
free oil is a good thing.
got some dex3 too.
would do a uoa but it would likely be skewed by the coolant residue from the intake gasket leak it had when i got it.
not sure how many changes it takes to clean up after the repair.
i did 3 changes in 300 mi and the oil stopped looking hazey on the stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back