Using too much product

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

I apply my products typically via a small foam applicator pad -various types of foams similar to what you would use on a buffer pad (closed cell foam, I guess). I also have a PC 7424 or whatever the common random orbital is.

My problem is, it seems to to be certain that I am putting down a proper coating of product, it seems that the applicator pad needs to be more or less "saturated" with the product.

Im not saying that I try to apply heavy coats - I always try to apply sparingly. However, until I get the pad saturated with product, I don't cover a lot of surface before it doesn't slide and I'm not convinced that I am covering the surface.

Zaino amongst others talks about using a TINY amount for the entire vehicle. 1oz. for a whole vehicle is often suggested. I don't think a regular applicator pad of any sort can actually be saturated in 1oz, let alone the whole vehicle surface.

What is the best practice to minimize use and maximize application? Saturate the pads with water and then wring out? Use some other sort of agent? Store them in bags and never wash them out?

Thanks!

Add quick detailer (QD) mist to the pad to prime it, you can also use water. Cotton applicators work good for using minimal product.

Using correct pad? Shaking product? hot / hum outside?

I do not use Zaino for the past 20 years. I spray my LC pad with 1 spray of water then the product..That is using a Makita 9227C...love it!

Then again I use JW and use 3 drops per panel..

I bought myself a Kawasaki gas-powered buffer. It's very nice.

I'm having a hard time figuring out the best way to use it, though.

My hood's finish looked worse than before I started.

Last edited:
Well then, you spent money not needed. You do not see pros that charge $200 to $300 a car using one do you?

It is like a PC vs Rotary..

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
I bought myself a Kawasaki gas-powered buffer. It's very nice.

I'm having a hard time figuring out the best way to use it, though.

My hood's finish looked worse than before I started.

Did ya buy the 17hp version? You can knock out a Hummer or Suburban in no time with that thing.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Hello,

I apply my products typically via a small foam applicator pad -various types of foams similar to what you would use on a buffer pad (closed cell foam, I guess). I also have a PC 7424 or whatever the common random orbital is.

My problem is, it seems to to be certain that I am putting down a proper coating of product, it seems that the applicator pad needs to be more or less "saturated" with the product.

Im not saying that I try to apply heavy coats - I always try to apply sparingly. However, until I get the pad saturated with product, I don't cover a lot of surface before it doesn't slide and I'm not convinced that I am covering the surface.

Zaino amongst others talks about using a TINY amount for the entire vehicle. 1oz. for a whole vehicle is often suggested. I don't think a regular applicator pad of any sort can actually be saturated in 1oz, let alone the whole vehicle surface.

What is the best practice to minimize use and maximize application? Saturate the pads with water and then wring out? Use some other sort of agent? Store them in bags and never wash them out?

Thanks!

I know what you mean. I know you are not supposed to do this, but I sometimes just squirt a little product on the vehicle and rub it in with the PC. I can control what goes on easier because I, like you, try to get the pad at an optimum state and end up with too much on the car which = hard to wipe off.

Originally Posted By: es350
Well then, you spent money not needed. You do not see pros that charge $200 to $300 a car using one do you?

Well then,......blah blah blah....thanks for your smug comments.

You should be able to apply a thin coat with a foam applicator applied by hand. You can lightly mist the applicator with some QD and apply the product to the pad then to the paint.

You may think it is not spreading over the paint but if you have a damp pad it is getting on the paint. Some thinner liquid waxes are hard to see so it does not look like it thought so it is more able knowing rather than seeing.

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto

Well then,......blah blah blah....thanks for your smug comments.

Fact bud...If I used a PC I would be out of business. I use a 9227C to make results that pay...99.9% of real detailer would laugh at you..I do not think a peron with a $200K car would let a gas dripping/ oil using product by his car..At least not my cusotmers...

Cars I've done recently to 100% finished perfection with a PC:

BMW E90 M3 coupe
M-Benz SLK350
Volvo XC90
Infiniti I35
Infiniti QX4
And just yesterday, an E39 M5 and a highly modded Porsche 996 Turbo.

A very good friend of mine did two Ferrari's last week with the new 7424XP.

We both always carry our rotaries to every detail; I have a Metabo and a Hitachi. But with new, advanced polishing techniques and products, I have not touched my rotaries in almost a year. Kinda getting tired lugging them around, but ya never know when you'll need one.

It's not about the machines or the wax you use. It's all about the skill, knowledge, and expertise.

1/2 ounce per vehicle is enough with Zaino. Just enough to barely see it being applied.

I have a PC and a german Rigid 2611. The 2611 is smoother and more powerful than the PC.

use a pad conditioner. my PC kit came with one, you spray it before applying product for this very reason.

another thing i have heard of many people doing before... try applying it by hand. some crazy expensive zymol waxes suggested it for application. they have different chemical makeups, but i don't see why you couldn't do the same thing with an over the counter wax. might need to use a vinyl glove or something.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
1/2 ounce per vehicle is enough with Zaino. Just enough to barely see it being applied.

1/2 oz won't even saturate the pad on a PC, even with pad conditioner. Super-difficult to determine if product is being spread, or if Im just moving a pad across a surface. Makes it real tough.

Less is more, absolutely, but I dont know if Im doing the job unless I see it going on.

Fact bud...If I used a PC I would be out of business. I use a 9227C to make results that pay...99.9% of real detailer would laugh at you.

Well in that case, Autopia is the place for you.

As for the original poster. I never really understood the need for using a machine buffer unless you are polishing the paint with a compound. And really polishing the paint isn't something you'd want to do very often, since it puts alot of wear and tear on the paint.

For straight waxing, IMHO it's faster to just apply the product by hand. Many waxes are designed for hand application anyways, and will dry out too quickly if you apply them by machine. Thus your pad gets gummed up with wax.

I bought a 4 pack of buffing pads. They come with a bottle of conditioner and a bottle of pad cleaner. Also you don't just put a circle of product on but spread it on like butter to as not to cause application swirls.

Originally Posted By: ionbeam22

As for the original poster. I never really understood the need for using a machine buffer unless you are polishing the paint with a compound. And really polishing the paint isn't something you'd want to do very often, since it puts alot of wear and tear on the paint.

For straight waxing, IMHO it's faster to just apply the product by hand. Many waxes are designed for hand application anyways, and will dry out too quickly if you apply them by machine. Thus your pad gets gummed up with wax.

I agree. therein lies part of my issue. That said, even with normal hand applicators, it is tough to get enough on in time, IMO.

Fact bud...If I used a PC I would be out of business. I use a 9227C to make results that pay...99.9% of real detailer would laugh at you.

Thus your pad gets gummed up with wax.

That's where the conditioner comes in applying it before putting wax on the pad.

Many waxes are designed for hand application anyways, and will dry out too quickly if you apply them by machine. Thus your pad gets gummed up with wax.

If you are using a machine just use a slow speed, soft pad, and just a few quick passes (emulating your hand). You are not polishing but just really spreading evenly. I think you can get a thinner more consistent coating with a machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back