Using TLS-LV or Dexron VI in Ford transmission that calls for Mercon LV?

Does anyone know if there is a list of Licensed Mercon LV fluids, licensed Dexon VI, etc? I know there is a list of licensed Dexos oils and figured there must be one for the trans fluids?

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has used or advises against the use of TLS-LV or Dexron VI into a Ford transmission that calls for Mercon LV? Specifically the 6F55 which is shared with GM as the 6T series of transaxles. I've been impressed with Idemitsu oil quality and just wanted to check into alternatives to using Mercon LV.

My first drain/refill is coming up for a few of my 6F55s so I figured I'd so some research ahead of time.

I'd use use Dex VI and Mercon LV interchangeably as they are pretty close, noteable by the fact that several brands of fluid have dual licenses for both. But TLS-LV is probably highly friction modified and probably not the best thing to use in a Ford transmission calling for Mercon LV.

If you're out of warranty, Maxlife or the Idemitsu you're considering will be fine. Many fluids are licensed for both, as you may know :)

GM publishes a list of Dexron licenses, but I haven't seen a similar list from Ford, though maybe @bdcardinal might have access to one at a Ford dealer.

The good news is that house brands licensed for Mercon LV are not hard to find.

I'd use use Dex VI and Mercon LV interchangeably as they are pretty close, noteable by the fact that several brands of fluid have dual licenses for both.
This... Saying a fluid is "recommended for..." or "compatible with..." isn't as strong by any stretch as being licensed. It definitely appears that LV and D-VI are in fact the same formulation but no one will publicly acknowledge this.

This... Saying a fluid is "recommended for..." or "compatible with..." isn't as strong by any stretch as being licensed. It definitely appears that LV and D-VI are in fact the same formulation but no one will publicly acknowledge this.
The only noteable difference is that Fluids that only claim Dex VI licenses seem to have a higher brookfield viscosity at -40C around 13000cP whereas Mercon LV or dual licesed fluids have a brookfield around 10,000cP, but overall they're very close, and if you don't live in the subarctic the difference is about nil.

I was wondering if anyone has used or advises against the use of TLS-LV or Dexron VI into a Ford transmission that calls for Mercon LV?
What I'm hearing is you have a Ford vehicle that uses Mercon LV. Mercon LV is widely available. Mercon LV is affordable. Mercon LV is a quality fluid. You can buy licensed Mercon LV from several places, right off the shelf. Mercon LV is exactly what your vehicle requires, buuuuuut........ You want to use something different.

Last edited:
a list of Licensed Mercon LV fluids
so I figured I'd so some research ahead of time
Only thing you really need to do is find a fluid that is the best price and easily available .... and even this is overkill. More below...

a Ford vehicle that uses Mercon LV. Mercon LV is widely available. Mercon LV is affordable. Mercon LV is a quality fluid. You can buy licensed Mercon LV from several places, right off the shelf. Mercon LV is exactly what you vehicle requires
Exactly.

Back to the OP:
You can buy Motorcraft's Mercon LV at dealers and O'Reillys. I'm sure other auto parts stores carry it as well. Then you have licensed fluids like Castrol Full Synthetic ATF, Walmart/Supertech LV ATF, Mag1 LV ATF, and others. Look for the word LICENSED and you're good. If it says "Suitable for...", "Recommended for...", "Compatible with...", that is not the same as LICENSED. At all. Those may be perfectly fine fluids on the other hand though.

Last edited:
The only compatibility list I have seen is for the 6.7 diesel oil. For example a few yours ago Ford sent us a bulletin saying that the Motorcraft oil met all the requirements of Dexos, but they weren't about to pay their competitor for the certification. I am sure GM feels the same about meeting a Ford spec.

There’s many Dex-VI fluids that carry Mercon-LV approvals and vice versa. Castrol Transmax Import full-synthetic does, as does ST. Pennzoil’s Platinum LV ATF(oddly enough, only Home Depot stocks it) also has dual GM/Ford approvals. Valvoline got their D-VI approved by GM but it states suitable for M-LV. I would be comfortable using Vavoline.

Why not buy Mercon LV at you local Ford dealer? Their prices are reasonable. Or on Amazon (see Promotion, Sales Forum).

Back