Using synthetic to clean a crankcase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kreen used as suggested appears to be good at cleaning . Seafoam used 1 oz. per quart of oil for less than 300 miles at the end of an OCI has worked as well ... Your mileage may vary .

Originally Posted by NavyVet88
2002 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0L 67k

So my ranger that I have made quite a few threads about lately is running much better now after having replaced bad plug wires and a coil pack. Went ahead and replaced the serp belt and tensioner as well as the idler pulley.

The truck had Castrol conventional 5w-20 and a purolator filter from a quick lube joint when I bought it from previous owner. First thing I did was changed oil and filter to Castrol Edge 5w-30 and a fram xg3600.
How long should I run this OCI before changing it again if I'm wanting to clean the motor internally? I know it will take more than one change to see most if any results.

Do I leave the CE in it for a full 5k then dump it or sooner? What do you guys think? I do want to do a black stone UOA but I think doing one on a "cleaning" OCI would be pointless because of possible contamination from prior conventional oils.

Post up your fill hole, if you can!

Originally Posted by talest

...‚...‚...‚...‚
[Linked Image]

If it were me, I'd add 8 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil to the oil 500 miles before each of your next oil changes... and use it in the fuel too... 4 oz to every 10 gallons of fuel is recommended... sometimes a little less seems optimum for fuel mileage as it seems to vary by engine, so 3 oz per 10 gallons might be best in some cases... and after a while you may just use top tier fuel to keep everything clean with an occasional run of the MMO for good measure... depending on your results, some use it in every tank no matter the fuel quality.
If your oil level goes down a half quart before reaching your next anticipated mileage for it to be changed, top off the oil with MMO and run another 500 ~ 1,000 miles, then change... by seeing when (if) the oil level went down, you'll have a better idea of when to change it in the future... and cleaning up the rings will sometimes decrease the oil consumption for future OCIs. I've got my little '96 Nissan truck on a 6 month interval of oil changes... every April or May and again in October or November as it never quite hits 5,000 miles in those six months being mostly short tripped and having a small oil pan to boot. Best of luck to ya...

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by talest

...‚...‚...‚...‚
[Linked Image]

...‚🙃

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back