Using Syn + engine with moist seals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone out there who has successfully swithced over to synthetic in an engine that had minor oil seepage from any of the seals, tell us your success or failure...

My wife's car, a 1993 Chevy Lumina with the 3.1 L engine alwyas seeped a little oil when we got it. I am not sure what kind of oil it had in it, but not long after we purchased it, (used at 147,000 miles thereabouts) I switched over to Valvoline Synthetic. Didn't leak any more, but didn't leak any less either.. stayed the same.

However, on a long vacation trip this past June we didn't even replace one pint of oil during that drive. I was using Amsoil 5W-30 (or 10W-30 ???) at the time.

You still worried about your seals? Most, if not all synthethic oils have seal additives to improve the seals not degrade them.

Darth-Sidious.jpg

I dont want to sound like clyde but what about
Valvoline Maxlife Syn.. I have used it in the past.

Who is clyde?

I actually have seen cars with slow leaks stop leaking with synthetic. I have read about cars leaking faster with synthetic. There are no guarantees.

THeir is not an API approved synthetic on planet eart that will harm your seals. Seals are damaged by dry rott. It is usualy associated with poor maintence with dino oils or dirty environment. Varnish and sludge build up from over extended oil change intervals with dino and this allows the seal to dry out and crack. This almost never happens to an engine running synthetic it's whole life. So if the seals are weeping they have already been damaged from whatever oil and oil change interval they have been under. I would fix the seals if I thought it was going to be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back