Using out of spec oil for engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some folks think oil grade is like a mechanical clearance - fixed dimensionally and won't "allow" others stuff. It's liquid. If it'll flow and it's oil, it'll lube. 20 to 60 is not all that much different except ant very low temps. What's the big deal ...

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
All my Ford Mod motors get 10w-30 always. Im a engine builder so i know what works, CAFE mandates: "A Joke"

CAFE does not mandate 20wt oil. I use 20wt because of the performance it gives me.

Originally Posted By: tig1
All my Ford Mod motors get 10w-30 always. Im a engine builder so i know what works, CAFE mandates: "A Joke"

CAFE does not mandate 20wt oil. I use 20wt because of the performance it gives me.
Lean on it hard a bit and you will see some shortcomings with boundary problems in a hurry. Also not going to debate you.

Just use a vacuums pump and let the oil sit for week or two before pouring most of it into a 5qt container. No need to drain it. Dump the last quart into the recycle jug...and now you have some good top-off oil. Extra work, but you are using fewer of our resources. I like the idea. No need on a new car because they don't need top offs. But on a car that uses oil? This is a good idea.

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
Just use a vacuums pump and let the oil sit for week or two before pouring most of it into a 5qt container. No need to drain it. Dump the last quart into the recycle jug...and now you have some good top-off oil. Extra work, but you are using fewer of our resources. I like the idea. No need on a new car because they don't need top offs. But on a car that uses oil? This is a good idea.

???

confused.gif

Last edited:
I would not reuse used oil.
There is no good reason to unless you just have a beater that burns oil.
Look for sales where oil is super cheap like a buck a qt.
Or just go to wally and get a jug of ST for 11 bucks.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Timo325
I don't want to start a forum war, was just doing some research.

I am considering going back to 5-30 for the Mustang. I used GC 5-30 in Germany for the autobahn runs..

I will make a separate post later for opinions on 5-20 vice 5-30 in the Mustang.

I had read this from 2006:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Ford's write up on their reasons for use of 5W-20 - 06/16/06 10:59 PM

quote:Originally posted by Rodbuckler:
I tried GC (a thick 30) and had to drain it out immediately for fear of losing the engine.

There is no way a 30 or 40 weight will protect my engine better than the 20 weight. The engine is designed for the 20 weight.

And then how about all those tiny and tight Honda engines running perfectly in Europe on the specced by Honda 5w-30?
Engines are NOT designed to run on one particular grade!!!
This myth is being repeated countless times and none here seem to care to challenge its validity.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...amp;type=thread

So I wanted to know everyone's thoughts on "engine tolerances" using multi-grade oils..

Can it damage an engine? Was GC 5-30 a bad call for those hard runs?

Engine burns about a qt every 7.5 to 10k (negligible I know..)

Thank You.
And what caused this "experts" fear of "losing" an engine. That it was going to fall out?

Ignorance, like pretty much every other post here on nonsense "CAFE conspiracy!!!"...
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Originally Posted By: tig1

Lean on it hard a bit and you will see some shortcomings with boundary problems in a hurry. Also not going to debate you.

Really? Specifically how?

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I would not reuse used oil.
There is no good reason to unless you just have a beater that burns oil.
Look for sales where oil is super cheap like a buck a qt.
Or just go to wally and get a jug of ST for 11 bucks.

You can even get Mobil 5000 or Mobil HM for just over $7-$8 for a jug with rebates at Wally. There's no reason for used oil in anything indeed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back