using oil with GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't make any comments, just state my facts. [Smile] 1999 SVT Contour, 2.5L HO V6, Duratec. 80k miles. This has been a Mobil 1 car its whole life. First 5W-30 and then 0W-40 when that weight became available in the US. Here was the last UOA on 0W-40. http://vorlon.cwru.edu/~dors/oil/contour.jpg I am on my first OCI of GC, gold. The engine has consumed 3/4 quart of oil in about 5k miles on this oil. I drive like I always have, maybe even a bit tamer as I mature. [Smile] I never, not once, noticed a drop in oil during a OCI while running Mobil 1. Yes I have checked and its not leaking out. Brian

Check/replace your PCV. Don't do the "shake-n-rattle test", but replace it. If it's stuck open or not shutting in cycles like it should, it would lead to excessive oil consumption. I am betting at 80k miles it went south on you. I replace mine every 25k for cheap insurance, they're like $2 a shot. I am not for 100% certain if the v-6 Ecotech uses a check vale or an orifice.

bxd20

PCV is not original, have replaced it once with a genuine Ford part. I can throw another one on and see what happens. From Ford they are pricey but I do know where I can order one. BTW - the Ecotec is a 4 cylinder GM in 2.0/2.2/2.4 L displacements. The Duratec is a V6 by Ford.

vad

quote:
Originally posted by bxd20: I am on my first OCI of GC, gold. The engine has consumed 3/4 quart of oil in about 5k miles on this oil.Brian
Drive another 5K miles and see what happens.

bxd20

Vad- What are you implying? That after 5k more miles the consumption will stop? And your theory behind that is what? The oil looks very clean, so I doubt it is cleaning out anything Mobil 1 left behind. I used to do very short OCI's on Mobil 1, typically 4k mi or so.

My 06 VW GLI consumes GC as well. I currently have Syntec 5w40 in the case and have noticed no consumption. There are a number of people that have noticed consumption with GC.

JAG

My VW 1.8T engine consumed some GC, the thinnest oil I ever tried in this engine. It also consumed Syntec 5W-40 in about the same amount. My fiance's Civic burnt GC at same rate as M1 10W-30. GC is great oil, but it can't be all things to all engines. I used M1 0W-40 early in the engine's life and didn't consume any but then again the engine was younger/tighter then, so maybe now it would consume some. Great oils for 40 weight loving engines I've used are Valvoline Synpower 5W-40, Amsoil 5W-40 (extinct version), Lubromoly 0W-40, and soon will put in Lubromoly 5W-40 (the oil I affectionately refer to as "Robusto", based on how well it performed in my volatility tests). I expect that your engine won't burn much if any of these oils.

I've used about 1/2 quart in my '99 Honda 2.3 litre VTEC Accord. I can't say, however, if this is because of the oil or engine wear (75,000 almost exclusively city miles). The engine runs very smoothly and quietly on GC. I haven't tried a 40 wt and probably won't.

I'm not sure if this has any application but my car always seems to eat .3 to half a quart of oil within the first 1000 miles of an oil change. After that it holds its level. I have the 2.2L Ecotec. I think Vad has a good idea - run it out and see if it continues consuming oil.

bxd20

I went ahead and replaced the PCV valve, even though the old one had only 15,000 miles, and it looked and rattled liked new. I'll keep going a little while, probably put around 7k total miles on this oil before I dump it and do a UOA. We'll see if consumption continues. If it does continue, I'm probably switching back to Mobil 1 OW-40.

I'll add one to this "just stating facts" thread. My 5.0L Mustang spend the first 85K miles of it's life using M1 5W-30 other than one run of M1 0W-30. OCI was 7K-10K miles. At about 50K miles it started to use a little oil, 1 quart in 5K miles +-. I did an Auto-Rx on the car about 13K miles back and after the rinse used GC green. Usage was just like the M1, 1 quart in about 5K miles. This interval I'm using GC gold since the green is all gone around here. So far it's used a quart in less than 3000 miles. I have 1 more quart of gold left. If I need to add it in another 3K miles I won't be buying more. I'll go back to M1, probably 0W-40 since I have enough here to do the change...

My GLI consumes M1 0w40. I have about 15K on it now. During the first 5K, it used up about 2 quarts. During the second 5K, it slowed down to about 1 quart. In the last 5K, it used up about 3/4 quart.

My 1.8T uses no oil, that can be detected on the dip stick, regardless of whether it's GC (last 2 OCIs), M1, original factory fill, or the Audi dealer's oil that was used in a couple OCIs. Oil consumption appears to be engine dependent even with the same type engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.