Using oil in newer fords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
1 quart every 1000 miles is unacceptable imo.

Mine too, however the automakers/dealership techs will tell you it's just fine if you bring in a new car with that complaint.
Unless it's out of warranty, then you need a $5K crate motor!

Manufactures who tell me that a daily drivers oil consumption is normal at 1Q/1,000 miles is covering up defects. I've never had to add oil in any of my engines during the maximum recomended OCI of 7,500 miles. Ed

5w20 inherently has a higher NOACK value than most 5w30s as most of you saw when they published the PQIA VOA of Valvoline next-gen.

I bet if you move up to a 5w30 synthetic you would experience less consumption but that might not be the best idea to everyone.

My wife's 2010 Focus has used .5 a quart on 7-10K OCI's on SM/SN Formula Shell, and SN PYB. Currently have SN 5W30 PU/5W20PYB mix in there right now. Lets see what happens.

this is a known issue on 08 wranglers. there was an assembly problem at the factory. if they have owned since new they have a lifetime drivetrain warranty. search jeepforum.com for this issue.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Because it means they pay less in warranty claims.

That's one reason, here are two others. The dealer gets paid squat from the mfg. for warranty claims and would rather do retail work, or easy warranty work.

From my own observations, Ford engines can pull a substantial amount of oil through the PCV lines. I believe there is baffling of some sort inside the valve cover to help reduce the amount of oil pulled through, but it's probably inadequate in most cases.

I installed a PCV catch can on my 2013 F150 5.0L and it catches a surprising amount of oil. I plan on measuring the amount over a 6000km/6 month OCI and I imagine it will equal about half of my engines total oil consumption. Ford should probably have a factory oil separator on their newer engines, but than again that's another maintenance item that can pose potential problems when ignored...

I always just went thicker on the oil, when I had a engine use oil and it usually stopped it. Try 5w30, if it still uses oil, I would even go with 10w30. I like 10w30. Its not gear oil, like some think it is.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Per Ford 1 quart per 1,000 miles is normal oil consumption.

We all know if something is consuming that much oil, something has gone wrong. 1 quart per 5K miles isnt bad, but I dont think that should be the case with such a new car, I wouldnt be happy with such consumption if that was my rig.

I added a oil separator to my Coyote 5.0 'stang that catches less than 2oz in 6 months/3k miles. I have not had to add any make up oil in 23k miles. Some Fords do better than others I guess.

if your engine uses absolutely no oil it would self destruct. Your valve guides need oil and some of that oil gets by the seals 5000 miles and only one quart is perfect. You are hearing this from someone who owns an engine shop and has been around engines all my life.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
if your engine uses absolutely no oil it would self destruct. Your valve guides need oil and some of that oil gets by the seals 5000 miles and only one quart is perfect. You are hearing this from someone who owns an engine shop and has been around engines all my life.

01.gif

My old Ford Ranger & my Mustang have a fair amount of PCV blowby. In the stang i use a catch can to minimize the amount of oil vapor going into the intake. I believe 5w20 also produces more blowby, especially in a 300 HP car.

I'm not sure 5w30 is the answer though. My UOAs are good with 5w20.

As others have said, 1 quart in 5k miles isn't anything to get too worried about, just keep tabs on the level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back