Using oil in newer fords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2010 fusion 3.0 v6 and a 2013 mustang v6. Both need a quart at around 5 thousand regardless of oil used. Have used edge ti , m1 ep, and pop all in 5w20 in the fusion. Used ultra, black bottle edge, and currently vsp in the stang, all in 5w20. I know engines can use some oil but I check it and no usage, check it right around 5 grand and boom, needs exactly a quart. The only oil that didn't use was in the first run of black bottled edge in the stang. Is this the new sn rating oils burning off faster or just not a bug deal regardless?

My 07 Focus uses nothing over the OCI. I usually do changes once every 8k miles

70k miles on the car

1999 suburban 5.7 liter 6500 miles on oil no usage , no additions

2014 chevy cruze 3000 miles on oil.. no usage

2013 chevy Malibu -- 2000 miles on oil.. no usage...

I think you just got the wrong Manufacturer
smile.gif

Kidding aside most oil at over 3500 miles breaks down a bit and is more prone to burnoff. top off no big deal

When i buy a new car for $30k+ I expect it to not consume oil or have any issues. I guess people have lowered expectations nowadays. May just be me tho.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
1 quart every 1000 miles is unacceptable imo.

Mine too, however the automakers/dealership techs will tell you it's just fine if you bring in a new car with that complaint.

Thank you. Somebody with some sense. If you spend the next 5 years making payments you shouldnt have these kinda things happen. Is this really how far weve come? Nobody can come up with an oil that doesnt magically disappear during an oil change interval? WTH?

Im gonna start using unicorn tears. I hear the noack is good. Atleast ill have a magical explanation for my oil magically disappearing.

2011 F150 3.5L no oil usage 5K OCIs
2012 Focus 2.0L 5K OCI, maybe 1/4qt
2008 Focus uses no oil at 5K OCIs
2001 Taurus 3.0L uses no oil between OCIS
1998 F150, 5.4L uses no oil 4K OCIs - hard use

I think this is more engine and driving habit dependent than manufacturer.... For instance, take a look at any early model 5.3L AFM engine.

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
When i buy a new car for $30k+ I expect it to not consume oil or have any issues. I guess people have lowered expectations nowadays. May just be me tho.

Do not operate a I.C. engine then you will not have to worry about very minor oil consumption.

Problem solved.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
My parents were up to 1 qt/650 miles on their 08 Wrangler.

I heard stories of the dealer telling someone with that complaint that a qt./500 miles is OK. The numbers are always changing.

Pretty much any car you buy these days has the potential to consume some oil. It is not a bad thing, nor is it a sign of poor build quality/sloppy assembly.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Miller88
My parents were up to 1 qt/650 miles on their 08 Wrangler.

I heard stories of the dealer telling someone with that complaint that a qt./500 miles is OK. The numbers are always changing.

Depends on how it was driven, really. Normal commuting (state roads, 55mph few stop lights) it was 650.

But if they took it on the highway out to where I live, it would gulp a quart in a week which would be around that. It was a Rubicon model with 4.10 gears, but couldn't pull overdrive on flat ground, so it had to be run in 5th gear on the highway. Definitely spinning some RPMs - probably contributed to the increased consumption.

I would have saved the oil from an oil change, then run it dry and blow it up, then pour the used oil back in.

And it was "normal" according to the dealer.

Thank you. Somebody with some sense.

Well, the only ones who find it acceptable are the car manufacturers themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back