using Noco g3500 in -35celcius to -40 celcius weather?

here in canada, our winters get super cold up in north alberta and i want to be prepared for the winter. last winter i never had any start up problems with even some days hitting colder then -40 celcius. i would always plug the block heater in and everything was golden. thing is i dont have a garage so i have to park outside. i noticed that with my short trip drivinf (i only drive 5-10 mins to work) in the morning and then 5-10 mins to home in the evening and due to the cold cold temperatures last winter, i totally sulfated my only 2 year old battery.

now the weather has of course been better and due to my short trips i lately always plug my noco genius g3500 in once a week just to bring the batteyr up to 100% every week to prevent further suflation or problems. so now i want to plan for the winter, my question is can i leave my noco g3500 outside in the -35 celcius weather when it is charging my vehicle battery every few days? the battery of course wont be frozen or anything cuz i drive anydays. i know its below the stated temps of the noco g3500 but curious what yall think

thx!!

I have a Noco as well and have used it outside at probably around -25C ,my concern would be the cord and cables standing up to repeated movement on extremely cold days .
I found them to be very stiff almost brittle feeling not sure if they would crack or not ???

How fast of a drive for 5 minutes?
Highway or city streets?
If city...
I might just walk on really cold days, bundle up , like a snowmobile suit, and you would be fine.

If you have to take the highway I would try to at least drive a bit more on the way home to warm up the car a bit more.

How fast of a drive for 5 minutes?
Highway or city streets?
If city...
I might just walk on really cold days, bundle up , like a snowmobile suit, and you would be fine.

If you have to take the highway I would try to at least drive a bit more on the way home to warm up the car a bit more.
its actually more like a 10 min drive but the distance is only 2 miles. alot of slow stop and go traffic. i have walked before and it takes 30 mins so i would prefer to drive ahah, but i believe at those temps and already my battery not being in tip top shape it probably wont charge that much

The required float charge voltage increases as temperature decreases. Beyond some point it’s probably not safe or practical to keep boosting it. So that sets a practical limit.

My perspective is that sulfation will not occur until the OCV is below 100% at temperature. I suspect, but you’ll have to test, that the charger can keep the voltage elevated at those temperatures. Some chargers keep a true indefinite float voltage, while others shut off and monitor the battery for relaxation and self discharge. It may not truly be 100% SOC by the book, but it should keep an electrochemical regime where sulfate cannot form.

hmm spoke to noco live chat and not sure if the lady working is just a noobie or soemthing but she said

"No, it will not blow up but it can damaged your battery or the charger."

i know for a fact my battery wont be frozen, i drive everyday and it always starts up fine

i just dont want a fire to start or something to blow up but i also dont want to keeep my battery discharged ahah

It’s hard to grasp how it would damage the battery, and often these sorts of comments are generic boiler plate to try to reduce liability.

Charging a frozen or slushy battery (electrolyte will freeze when the battery is slightly depleted in these conditions) could damage many things. It’s true. It’s always possible to find a plausible scenario. The reality of the scenario is a different thing though.

i don’t see a ton of risk assuming the battery isn’t frozen, and it’s in good condition. Perhaps the battery can’t compensate for temperature in that condition, but it can do something.

maybe a batttery warming pad would be a good option?

Back