Using Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck oil in gas cars.

Foaming is still a concern.

But again it depends on the oil. If you’re looking a 5w40, it’s going to have different anti foaming properties vs your bargain basement fleet 15w40 oil.

People running HDEO’s in PCEO applications aren’t running the cheapest of the cheap. They’re using very high end oils. Thus, formulated differently.

If you put *insert brand here* national account, fleet oil special 15w40, in a high revving bike, you’ll have a different outcome vs *insert brand here* 5w40 that is normally, a very premium product.
Actually the 15W-40s are the better oil. I run 5W-40 in my tractor because it is used year round.

Aren't there other factors involved though? The size crank pins churning oil in the pan are so much larger than a turbo wheel spinning. I get that the turbine is spinning faster, but which one is really creating more agitation? I don't have that answer, I'm just saying it most likely isn't that cut and dry.
Crankshafts do not dip into the oil.

I've never personally run Rotella (or any diesel oil) in my bike so I can't speak to that specifically, but I'll say from experience with motorcycle specific oils, when the shifting degrades it's across the board, doesn't matter hot or cold. All the sudden you realize the shifter doesn't "snick" up into the next gear the same, you get false neutrals sometimes, and it feels rough.

Then you change the oil and the transmission feels brand new again. It can get so bad that it feels like something is mechanically wrong, and that's why a lot of motorcycle guys change their oil more often than the manual suggests. Like, my manual calls for 7,500 mile changes, but there's zero chance I'll ever do that, because even if the oil is safe to run, I still want that like-new shift feel again, and my bike only takes 1.1 quarts anyway. I change my oil about every 1,600 miles for this reason.
Then it doesn't sound like it's a result of shear, as that's ultimately just visc loss. If the oil is cold, it's obviously much heavier than fresh oil at temperature, so if it was viscosity related, it would shift fine when cold and gradually get worse as the oil heated.

This sounds like the depletion of some additive in the lubricant that helps with shift feel and that gets "used up" over the OCI.

Then it doesn't sound like it's a result of shear, as that's ultimately just visc loss. If the oil is cold, it's obviously much heavier than fresh oil at temperature, so if it was viscosity related, it would shift fine when cold and gradually get worse as the oil heated.

This sounds like the depletion of some additive in the lubricant that helps with shift feel and that gets "used up" over the OCI.
It would make sense then too with people calling Rotella a "shear monster" in bikes that a diesel oil wouldn't contain an additive to improve motorcycle shift feel at all.

I just understand the eagerness of some riders to use anything but a motorcycle-specific oil. They exist for a reason. Yes they are slightly more expensive, but few people are putting at many miles on their bikes as their cars, so it isn't a tremendous cost over time anyway. I think there's this idea that's a conspiracy that the oil companies just print "motorcycle" on the label and jack up the price for no reason, but I really don't think that's the case.

Another one which is what I use in my CBR which calls for 10w30 viscosity, I should have mention this instead of the ultra. SN, JASO MA2 and 30 viscosity.

Based on this thread, it seems that oil manufacturers can still claim SN ratings with phosphorus is above 800 ppm, if the grade is thick enough, but that they are anticipating that this loophole will be closed at some point. In anticipation of this change, Shell has voluntarily removed the SN ratings from their Rotella T lineup. Mobil is taking the opposite approach with some of their oils and ensuring they are under 800 ppm phosphorus so that they can keep the SN rating even if the regulation changes.

It's unclear if Shell's statement applies to all oils or only heavy duty engine oils.

Based on this thread, it seems that oil manufacturers can still claim SN ratings with phosphorus is above 800 ppm, if the grade is thick enough, but that they are anticipating that this loophole will be closed at some point. In anticipation of this change, Shell has voluntarily removed the SN ratings from their Rotella T lineup. Mobil is taking the opposite approach with some of their oils and ensuring they are under 800 ppm phosphorus so that they can keep the SN rating even if the regulation changes.

It's unclear if Shell's statement applies to all oils or only heavy duty engine oils.
We are well past SN though. We have many xW-40's with higher levels of phosphorous that now claim SP, like M1 0W-40. The heavier grades continue to be excluded.

Back