Using MMO in airplane fuel

My sister is currently a flight instructor looking to fly more hours than her current job can offer. So... She bought a plane. A Cessna 140 with a Lycoming 235a engine.

The now previous owner put MMO in the fuel and is telling my sister she needs to do the same. It's a rebuilt engine with about 500 hrs on it. I put gas additive sometimes in my pickup (not MMO), but obviously aviation has a lot more stringent rules.

Any reason why she should continue using it?

Last edited:
Was the prior owner having a problem with lead fouling or valve sticking? MMO is not authorized but you do see it in a lot of hangars with antique airplanes or those with low compression engines running 100LL and many swear by its benefits there. That said I would have her talk to her A&P.

I thought the Cessna 140's had Continentals? Must be an STC for the Lycoming...will have to read up on that.

There was an interesting accident a while back where, IIRC, someone put enough MMO for a fill up in the center tank with the expected disastrous results....not exactly the additives fault though.

Was the prior owner having a problem with lead fouling or valve sticking? MMO is not authorized but you do see it in a lot of hangars with antique airplanes or those with low compression engines running 100LL and many swear by its benefits there. That said I would have her talk to her A&P.

I thought the Cessna 140's had Continentals? Must be an STC for the Lycoming...will have to read up on that.

There was an interesting accident a while back where, IIRC, someone put enough MMO for a fill up in the center tank with the expected disastrous results....not exactly the additives fault though.
Yes he said he was having problems with sticking valves. She is very much a stickler on the rules, doesn't plan on using any additives. Just figured I would ask since MMO does have a large following. Not sure of the year model plane, or what the original engine was, but yes it's old.

Appreciate everyone's response, I'll send her a link to this thread.

If I recall, MMO was used for years in aviation engine fuel to scavenge excess lead deposits as it has (had) a halogenated solvent in it. This worked together with the ethylene bromide in the fuel to keep lead deposits to a minimum. I remember years ago seeing pictures of valve trains and cylinder heads in an air cooled aircraft engine with and without MMO in the fuel and there was, at least in those photos, a remarkable difference in engine cleanliness.

A close friend of mine is a retired A&P mechanic from Lycoming Engines/Williamsport,PA. When I get a chance I will ask him.

Quote Blackstone Labs on MMO

This isn't ATF unless it is mixed with something. ATFs have a
viscosity in the 10W range and flash off at about 360F at the lowest.
ATFs usually have more additive in them than this. We suspect this may
be a light hydraulic known generically as Mil-S-5606. It is used in
high flying aircraft hydraulic systems being impervious to the cold.
No moisture or insolubles found. No wear metals. This oil appears,
from here, to be in serviceable condition.

As for the elements
32 ppm of Boron,
2 ppm of silicon,
1 ppm cacium,
902 ppm phosphorus,
2 ppm zinc.
The viscosity at 210F was 2.5 cSt.
The flashpoint was 190F.

Objectively speaking you're introducing just more unwanted deposits to the combustion chamber with no benefits... however some of my pilot friends have a personal belief that MMO is a benefit... hey its a free country...

Last edited:
I’d be concerned about someone using unapproved fuel additives in an aircraft.

Id check with the FAA on this.

PM Cujet and ask him for his opinion on this thread.
I'm not a fan of MMO and would never use it in an aircraft. Like others here, I've seen it used in antique aircraft and I've known people who swear it helped. However, there are a few points that might help clarify the situation. Maybe more importantly, if you find yourself in a field, when the MMO stops covering up the problem, the FAA will, A) find out you've used MMO, B) treat you quite poorly. C) point to a crash known to be caused by MMO.

First, if one is trying to "cover up" sticking valves with a top end lube, the only proper fix is a mechanical one. Typically, the exhaust valve simply needs to be pushed out of the guide and down into the cylinder, then the guide cleaned. Pull the valve stem up through the plug hole and clean it too. It's not that hard, does not take all that long, and the engine does not need to be disassembled for the job.

Second, today's 100LL contains less lead than it did yesterday. What we needed to do yesterday is not really needed today.

Third, Swift 94 is available in many locations. It's an unleaded, approved, aircraft fuel that is, in essence, 100LL without the lead. It's worth considering for engines approved for lower octane fuels. It will mix just fine with 100LL.

Here is how the exhaust guide is cleaned in place. It's really not that hard to get the valve back into the guide after cleaning. A wire with a "U" bend at the top, fed through the plug hole, and a small strong magnet will do it. Or if you really must waste time, pull the exhaust off and use fingers to position the valve stem through the exhaust port.

By the way, one can easily lap the ex valve doing this. But you must pull the exhaust for access to apply and remove the valve grinding compound.

reaming.jpg

Here is the wire and magnet "trick".
images

Oh, and just like in cars, more frequent oil changes will help prevent stuck or sticking piston rings. Don't go 100 hours between oil changes. Shell did some testing and found that 35 hours was the practical maximum for a healthy engine. At which point the oil was sufficiently contaminated to warrant changing. Unhealthy engines need even more frequent oil changes.

Last edited:
Quote Blackstone Labs on MMO

This isn't ATF unless it is mixed with something. ATFs have a
viscosity in the 10W range and flash off at about 360F at the lowest.
ATFs usually have more additive in them than this. We suspect this may
be a light hydraulic known generically as Mil-S-5606. It is used in
high flying aircraft hydraulic systems being impervious to the cold.
No moisture or insolubles found. No wear metals. This oil appears,
from here, to be in serviceable condition.

As for the elements
32 ppm of Boron,
2 ppm of silicon,
1 ppm cacium,
902 ppm phosphorus,
2 ppm zinc.
The viscosity at 210F was 2.5 cSt.
The flashpoint was 190F.

Objectively speaking you're introducing just more unwanted deposits to the combustion chamber with no benefits... however some of my pilot friends have a personal belief that MMO is a benefit... hey its a free country...
I don't know when this analysis was done but the formula must have changed since I had it analyzed.

MMO Analyses by University and Commercial Labs said:
(Any element 2 ppm or lower not reported)
Phos - 631 ppm Use: Anti-wear and Lead Scavenger for when gasoline had TEL Increases phosphorus to Catalytic Converters.
Potassium – 60 ppm Use: Buffer and weak detergent.
Viscosity – 2.3 cSt@100C , 7.9 cSt@40C
Comment: One very Low Viscosity liquid! Due to light fraction (volatile Hydrocarbon Content).
Flash Point – 143F
TBN – 0.3
Glycol – 0.63
Oxidation – 10

Hydrocarbons:
Naphthenic Hydrocarbons Use: Carrier and weak Solvent
Mineral Spirits Use: Carrier and Medium Solvent, This is a Low odor paraffinic solvent which is Dearomatized Kerosene
Chlorinated Hydrocarbons (2) of orthodichlorobenzene Use: Strong solvent and decarbonizer.

Unfortunately the analysis wasn't dated... What date is your analysis???
Apparently about 2014.

There is no reason to use any fuel or fuel additive not recommended in the engine manf. manual.

I would have a trusted A&P mechanic do a borescope viewing of the cylinders and valving and determine if there are any problems.

and

https://www.lycoming.com/contact/knowledge-base/publications

People who think they know better than the aviation engine engineers and oil formulators scare me.
Unless of course the A&P is a .... no, not going to get myself in trouble with the moderator again.

I did not think MMO had any zinc? For MolaKule, would the listed amount of zinc be bad for silver plating and bearings?

Back