Using Idemitsu TLS (Toyota T-IV) & TLS-LV in other applications?

I went all in on the Autozone clearance of Idemitsu TLS & TLS-LV @ $2 per quart, despite not owning a Toyota. I don't subscribe to the "must use OEM fluids" belief, I've used universal fluids in just about every AT I've ever owned with good results. My assumption is that Toyota T-IV is largely compatible with a Dex-III or similar fluid (non-low viscosity) and that TLS-LV ought to be similar to fluids meeting a Dex-VI or other LV spec.

Is there any solid reasoning / proof that might shoot this theory down? I can always sell the stuff if it's somehow going to poison my transmission.

I was thinking of using the T-IV in my '96 Maxima, and the LV fluid in a 2015 Kia Sedona (6sp transmission) that originally spec SP-IV. Thoughts? If it might work better in another application that's in my signature, I'd be interested in hearing it.

In the owners manuals for the Toyota vehicles that require T-IV or WS, it states the power steering fluid should be Dex II or III. I always thought it interesting that they didn't spec the use of the T-IV fluid so there must be some difference.

I used Red Line ATF D4 in my Toyota that required T-IV ATF, and it negatively affected the shift quality. I went back to T-IV or Mobil 3309 and the shift quality improved. Had a major slip from 1-2.

The only way to know for sure is to try it.

I have a car that requires Dexron III. Idemitsu TLS works fine in mine, and $2 a quart is a steal. My transmission is running as smooth as ever

I ended up using the TLS in my '96 Maxima that original spec Matic D.

I can't tell a difference in shift quality, still shifts good as it always has. The Autozone clearance at $2 a quart makes for a cheap transmission service.

I bought 10 qts of Idemitsu Type TLS-LV (WS) and 11 qts of Type TLS (Type IV) at $2/qt. Should be good for 2012 Highlander, right?

Back