Using dino oil when semi-synthetic is required.

I was just wondering what happens to an engine that the manufacture requires semi-synthetic oil, but regular oil is added by accident, say at the oil change place. It didn't happen, but I was just wondering how it would affect the engine.

I was just wondering what happens to an engine that the manufacture requires semi-synthetic oil, but regular oil is added by accident, say at the oil change place. It didn't happen, but I was just wondering how it would affect the engine.
You may see a slight difference in fuel economy, but it would be negligible. No damage would occur to the engine if conventional was added.

Well from what I understand is nowadays unfortunately they are all a blend pretty much except the 10W-30 and higher. I don’t know if it would have too much effect. I don’t recall ever seeing a car that called for synthetic blend though I read online my Escape recommends it but I don’t know that for sure as I don’t have the owners manual and have been using High Mileage regular in it for awhile now with no issues.

Ford is recommending their Motorcraft oil in the manual, but what is really requited is that it meets the WSS-M2C946-A standard (in the right column in the chart that OilReport99 linked to). Practically ANY SN rated 5w30 meets that spec, even ones marketed as "conventional."

It does say that on the manual. I can't post the text though, sorry, but it is in the manual. I have a 2017 Edge 4 cylinder.
That's probably just Ford verbiage trying to get you to buy their Ford branded oil. Just like in my 300ZX and Accord manuals. Genuine Nissan and Genuine Honda fluids are "recommended".

2nd. Ive never seen a manual or fsm that requires a synblend.
Every F150 sold has the oil type shown as “synthetic blend” or optional “full synthetic”. Has been for years. No mention of conventional.
229F32E7-5BDA-42D8-B3AA-CCAE52892AD2.png

Ford is recommending their Motorcraft oil in the manual, but what is really requited is that it meets the WSS-M2C946-A standard (in the right column in the chart that OilReport99 linked to). Practically ANY SN rated 5w30 meets that spec, even ones marketed as "conventional."

Back