Using Clay is easier than I thought

Never used it before but with a fairly clean car to start, I used the Mequiers Clay Kit from Walmart. Followed directions by working a piece of clay flat to fit my palm, used the Meq Spray, and rubbed the clay lightly over the car surface, drying each section with a micro. No hand pressure, just slide it light and easy over a given section. Came out slicker than goose poop. Prob took less than an hour. Now the MB silver really shines. Missed a few places, like top edge of hood that I need to go back and get.

Yep. I just pulled a car out of 2 decades of nearly continuous dry storage, and clay bars were virtually unknown back when I stored it.

Using a clay bar on it was the first thing that I did, after washing it twice. The clay bar did more for the paint than anything else that I could have done. Followed it up with a coat of wax.

I "discovered" clay bars about 5 years ago and have been using them once or twice a year ever since. Definitely worth the effort!

Make the next jump!

Never used it before but with a fairly clean car to start, I used the Mequiers Clay Kit from Walmart. Followed directions by working a piece of clay flat to fit my palm, used the Meq Spray, and rubbed the clay lightly over the car surface, drying each section with a micro. No hand pressure, just slide it light and easy over a given section. Came out slicker than goose poop. Prob took less than an hour. Now the MB silver really shines. Missed a few places, like top edge of hood that I need to go back and get.
No need to dry it. Wash it after you clay and get ready for polish, then seal and/or wax.

I must be doing it wrong all these years. It never takes me more than a half hour. I don't tediously massage the paint, just a light back/forth wipe down. I use heavily diluted car wash soap as the lubricant (another faux pa). Once or twice annually.

I ended up washing the Jetta today and clayed all horizontal surfaces. Smooth as a babies behind now, quite a bit of brown debris was on the clay bar. I was a bit surprised by the amount considering we purchased this car new in December of 2020 and it has got a weekly wash since then.

Make the next jump!

So much faster... only downside is greater risk of marring than clay. Used the autoscrub sponge recently with diluted glide. That said the time saved and I'll only clay before correcting anyway.

So much faster... only downside is greater risk of marring than clay. Used the autoscrub sponge recently with diluted glide. That said the time saved and I'll only clay before correcting anyway.
Some people don't have the budget/don't want a correction. Autoscrub pad plus Nano Shock is the quickest way to clean, slick, protected paint.

On white/silver cars it's fantastic.

I do it after winter on all three of the cars. Half a bar goes a long way. Once annually is a must I'd say, then you're good to go by washing it off and adding a quality sealant/wax.

Back