Using Castrol Edge FST 10W-60 in Ford Focus 1.6i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

My father seems to be using Castrol Edge FST 10W-60 in his Ford (EU) Focus 1.6i 16V (1998) even though I can see that the official Castrol web-site recommends 5W-30 for this car.

I wonder, will there be any damage to the engine by using 10W-60 when 5W-30 is recomended? The car is used in continental climate with hot summers (around 35 c - 40 c) and cold winters (sometimes -20 c) in south Ukraine. The fuel quality is very bad there, I guess a lot of sulpher and other additives you cannot even imagine.

My fear is that this oil will be too thick for the engine and it can do some damage ... Am I right?

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Why not just use what's specified?

Yes, I will have to talk to him. Most likely he just went to some local market and bought whaterver had "Castrol" label on it ...

I hope he's not going out of his way to find the rather unusual 10w-60 oil. I see no reason to use it in that climate. In fact, there is a very good reason not to use it! Generally 10w-x oils are not recommended for temps below 0C.

I took a look at Ford recommendations for 1.6 l Zetec-SE engine and they are the following:

(recomended oils)

1. ACEA A1/B1 and WSS-M2C912-A1 or WSS-M2C913-A SAE 5W-30 from -20 C and lower to +40 C and higher

(alternative oils)

2. ACEA A1/B1 or A2/B2 SAE 10W-30 from -20 C and lower to +40 C and higher

3. ACEA A3/B3 SAE 5W-40 from -20 C and lower to +40 C and higher

It is strange that A1/B1 is recomended over A3/B3 given the cleaning features of A3/B3 ...

So, given above recommendations the engine is screwed and oil has to be changed immediately?

This oil is great for racing, extremely high oil temperature or in a worn engine will be sold. It will cause an excess wear.
The thickest Castrol oil I ever used: 15W40 in a 35 yrs air cooled VW engine. Climate is similar like in South Ukraine.

It will be fine in the cold. It's just a 10W with more polymer. Probably quite nice for any fuel dilution/contamination issues

Ford engines like 2.9 HTHS and oils with the ford 913C (or 913D) specification.

Yes talk to him and then show him the Owners Manual along with teaching him the label on the oil bottle/jug.

I used a 10w-60 in my harley before. Motorex I think it was called. I liked it in my air cooled 106,however in a 1.6l engine unless it's running 30 pounds of boost it way too thick.
Arco might use it though.
Merk would like it too

Thanks for your suggestions. I will talk to him and ask to change the oil asap to a recommended viscosity and specification.

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
It is strange that A1/B1 is recomended over A3/B3 given the cleaning features of A3/B3 ...

It's not terribly uncommon to find an A5/B5 along with the A1/B1 in a 5w-30 grade, at least in the most common brands, either.

Well A1/B1 and A5/B5 have (effectively) the same lower HTHS requirement, whereas A3/B3 lines up with A3/B4 (both >3.5).

Well, by looking at different posts at BITOG I may conclude that people are suggesting to use ACEA A3 over A1 or A5 due to higher HTHS in A3. Pretty much the indirect message is that due to higher HTHS the oil with ACEA A3 is better than oil with ACEA A5.

However, if I ask the same question on some other forums (mainly russian speaking) people are saying that the latest ACEA A5 2010 spec is more strict than ACEA A3 and that I should buy ACEA A5 instead.

Also, if ACEA A3 is better, I wonder why Ford is recomending A1 or A5?

Originally Posted By: weasley
Well A1/B1 and A5/B5 have (effectively) the same lower HTHS requirement, whereas A3/B3 lines up with A3/B4 (both >3.5).

I'm just saying that the A5/B5 is a little more rigorous than the A1/B1.

volodymyr: It's not that one's "better" than the other. It certainly depends upon driving habits and driving conditions, not to mention application.

used_0il,

Originally Posted By: used_0il
Volodymyr; Your father has been using the correct oil in his car for 16 years.

The evidence suggests that "Father Knows Best".

Yes, this is a strong argument, I agree. In fact after long usage of 10W-60 I am afraid to ask him to switch to 5W-30.

However, my overall feeling is that for such a tiny engine the 5W-60 weight seems to be very thick ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back