Using ATF to clean an engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a heck of a time trying to get the search function here to get me any results on this topic.
I remember seeing the odd thread here on guys thinking adding a qt of ATF will help clean the engine. Can somebody point me in the right direction. I know using ATF is a total waste of time but there is a couple of posters on another site determined that this 60 year old trick is still relevant with today's oils/additives.

I have a retired friend who was a mechanic and service manager his whole life and always claimed that ATF was high detergent and great for cleaning. of course, he also cursed synthetics and almost every brand of dino that wasn't his brand.

I think it's better to use a product actually made for engine cleaning than to use atf for that purpose.

Originally Posted By: tuckman
I am having a heck of a time trying to get the search function here to get me any results on this topic.

Agreed, the search function doesn't.

Just don't do it. :)

Try out genuine engine cleaners. They work pretty well.

My Volvo XC70's five cylinder give easy access to the cylinders. I can take out the spark plugs and look right down into the cylinders.

Three sessions now, I've filled the cylinders will Amsoil Powerfoam, and let it sit for around 20 minutes, then reinstall plugs, etc., fire it up, and let it run for a few minutes to blow out all the Powerfoam's white smoke.

My piston heads were covered in black, crunchy carbon. Now I can actually see the metal underneath the carbon, and the car's idling so much smoother now, and runs very strong.

One or two pistons were in worse shape than the others, and I think this irregularity in the engine was what caused the idle rumble. All that carbon build-up in one or two cylinders will change the compression dynamic, and cause rumble. This is my theory, at least, based upon my results so far.

Of course, I'd love to know why two cylinders had more carbon build-up than the others. Numbers two and three are the bad ones.

I must be misunderstanding you. Do you fill cylinders with Powerfoam and then fire up the engine with Powerfoam still in the cylinders? Are you not worried about hydro locking your engine?

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I must be misunderstanding you. Do you fill cylinders with Powerfoam and then fire up the engine with Powerfoam still in the cylinders? Are you not worried about hydro locking your engine?

- Vikas

I have a fluid sucker that I use to extract the dirty fluid from the cylinders.

When I say I fill the cylinders, I mean the foam fills up the cylinder, then slowly returns to a fluid, which is very little, and I extract it with the fluid sucking device, which is like a grease gun, but works in reverse.

You could also let it sit over night with the plugs out, so it gets a good long soak. Turn the engine over by hand a few hours later reapply the PF. Then with the plugs out crank the engine over in the morning, install the plugs and you're GTG, no worries about hydro-locking an engine.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
You could also let it sit over night with the plugs out, so it gets a good long soak. Turn the engine over by hand a few hours later reapply the PF. Then with the plugs out crank the engine over in the morning, install the plugs and you're GTG, no worries about hydro-locking an engine.

I may have to do this. :)

If it's this much better with only soaking for a few minutes per session, I wonder how it'll run with HOURS of soak time!?
19.gif

If you're going to allow a really long cylinder dwell time, you might do that just before a scheduled oil change.

As to the differences between carbon build up in one or another cylinder, I'd look to injector imbalance. A bout with PI should straighten that out.

..but this is really a fuel side deal. ATF was used for this too in times past.

ATF in oil is a thinning agent. Not a cleaner.

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I may have to do this. :)

If it's this much better with only soaking for a few minutes per session, I wonder how it'll run with HOURS of soak time!?
19.gif

Time is your friend. As Gary mentioned tie this into an oil change. Remove the plugs spray it in let it sit a few hours, turn the engine over by hand, or a short flip of the starter, then soak again. If you can do it a few times over a period of 2 days that is even better. Crank the engine with the plugs out when you're done to get any excess cleaner out, install the plugs go for a short drive get the engine warmed up and dump the oil.

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto

Three sessions now, I've filled the cylinders will Amsoil Powerfoam, and let it sit for around 20 minutes, then reinstall plugs, etc., fire it up, and let it run for a few minutes to blow out all the Powerfoam's white smoke.

One thing I've discovered about Power Foam is to let it sit as long as you can. I recommend overnight if possible, really sits and works it's magic that way.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
ATF in oil is a thinning agent.

Most ATF is the same viscosity as 20W motor oil.

That wouldn't be much of a "thinning agent".

I wish I could find someone local so I could get my hands on some Powerfoam without having to pay enormous shipping for it.

Originally Posted By: axjohn
I wish I could find someone local so I could get my hands on some Powerfoam without having to pay enormous shipping for it.

Become a preferred customer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back