using an electric leaf blower to dry car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, done it a couple times. Might get some strange looks, but it is certainly better for your paint.

Never thought about that but it sounds feasible. I would venture to guess though since the blower is blowing air from the environment and its not run through a filter, it may be throwing contaminants back onto the car. I would stay with a towel.

Should be the same as a car wash blower. I wouldnt use a gas blower tho, youd be hitting your car with a cloud of 2 cycle oil.

I use a gas blower, since its what I have, and I wouldn't want to hassle with extension cords and the likely wispiness of electric. All depends upon how the exhaust comes out. It works great.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I use a gas blower, since its what I have, and I wouldn't want to hassle with extension cords and the likely wispiness of electric. All depends upon how the exhaust comes out. It works great.

I use an electric one to do the same.

Tried it once, then decided it was easier to just drive down the street a few times. I find that once you get past about 40-45mph, most of the water is gone. It also blasts everything out of the door jambs, hood, and trunk.

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang
Should be the same as a car wash blower. I wouldnt use a gas blower tho, youd be hitting your car with a cloud of 2 cycle oil.

hmm, no 2 stroke in my blower. 4 stroke all the way. Works great too

Hello, I don't think this counts as a thread hijack:

My pal's kid had fouled her car royally. It stunk horribly (I was told).

My friend rubbed in 3 boxes of baking soda and some coffee grounds too.

After 10 minutes he blasted the car clear with his leaf blower.

Worked like a charm. Kira

I've been drying my cars with a leaf blower for 20 yrs. Works great getting water out of all handles, mirrors, trim etc. One micro fiber towel gets the rest. Easy, ONLY if you have good coat of wax. If the water beads nicely you can also make it easier to dry if you remove the spray nozzle from your hose, and flood the surface with a solid stream of water, and most of the water sheets and runs right off. Try it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I use an electric one to do the same.

+1. Been doing this for years and it works great. It definitely helps to prevent water spots on my cars.

I use a gas leaf blower on my cars, not necessarily to dry the whole thing but to get water out of the crevices, mirrors, lug nuts, etc. Works great even if it does look silly.

To the gentleman who suggested getting two cycle oil on the car, I'd hope the air intake for the leaf blower is sufficiently separate from the exhaust or it's a bad design altogether. That said, mine is 4 cycle.

Originally Posted By: Traction
I've been drying my cars with a leaf blower for 20 yrs. Works great getting water out of all handles, mirrors, trim etc. One micro fiber towel gets the rest. Easy, ONLY if you have good coat of wax. If the water beads nicely you can also make it easier to dry if you remove the spray nozzle from your hose, and flood the surface with a solid stream of water, and most of the water sheets and runs right off. Try it!

This. A good coat of protection (sealant/wax) makes all the difference in the world. Flood, then blow dry and finish the few remaining spots with MF towel.

And yes, the neighbors look at you funny. Ironically, I have seen a few of mine trying it after they saw me do it.

Electric is much better than gas. I've even cleaned the inside of my truck in a couple minutes by opening the doors, and blow away. The only way to clean out gutters, and you garage too. Doesn't work so good in the house though, even after duct taping all the knick knacks down.

I've used a gas blower on my own and customers' cars for more than ten years, never a problem.

Quote:

This is total garbage from a totally uninformed source.....it must be a joke. I can't believe otherwise, no one could be this thick.

Originally Posted By: Traction
Doesn't work so good in the house though, even after duct taping all the knick knacks down.

LOL. Darn, and I was gonna try that today..........
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back