Using a copper and brass plug on an aluminum pan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in getting a Fram Sure drain for my GTI but the problem is that has an aluminum pan.The Fram unit uses a copper washer and a brass drain valve.

Is galvinizing sure to occur and if so how bad could it be?

I rarely see drain plugs that are dry and prone to corrosion. Usually they have at least a film of oil at the area that should protect from corrosion.

On the other hand, brass and copper are more cathodic than steel is to aluminum.

probably not a good idea. Theoretically there will be galvanic reaction, how much I couldn't tell you other than aluminum to brass/copper can be a bad combination. Worst part being the aluminum threads in the pan for the drainplug would be the first to go. I don't think the film of oil will protect anything, it's the metal-metal contact from the threads of brass to aluminum. The copper washer wouldn't help either.
Come to think of it, Fram is the maker of the oil filter we all like to put down, for it's cheap design. Sounds like the Fram scientists might have overlooked the possibility of corrosion with their suredrain on aluminum oil pans... I've never read the package of one for any disclaimers
dunno.gif

[ May 09, 2005, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: 1 FMF ]

quote:

Originally posted by 1 FMF:
probably not a good idea. Theoretically there will be galvanic reaction, how much I couldn't tell you other than aluminum to brass/copper can be a bad combination. Worst part being the aluminum threads in the pan for the drainplug would be the first to go. I don't think the film of oil will protect anything, it's the metal-metal contact from the threads of brass to aluminum. The copper washer wouldn't help either.
Come to think of it, Fram is the maker of the oil filter we all like to put down, for it's cheap design. Sounds like the Fram scientists might have overlooked the possibility of corrosion with their suredrain on aluminum oil pans... I've never read the package of one for any disclaimers
dunno.gif

They actually don't recommend them for my application altough they have a model that fits.They last recommeded a sure drain(SD-2) for the steel oil pan VW's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back