Using 5W-30 in a new Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently sold my Acura Integra, so I have a small stockpile of 5W-30 conventional oil sitting in my garage. Our two current vehicles are a 2005 Honda Pilot and a 2007 Honda Accord V6.

I don't really want to have the 5W-30 oil go to waste, so I was thinking about using it in both vehicles despite the fact that Honda recommends using 5W-20 in each. Does anyone see any potential issues with this?

I currently use 5W-20 in both vehicles and will continue to do so once I use up the 5W-30. I don't have a problem with using 5W-20, so I'm not here to debate that. Just want to know if there'll be any issue with using the slightly thicker oil.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Sleep good. I use 5W-30 in ALL my vehicles and have been since they were all brand new. I'm still not convinced that 5W-20 is the way to go.

Stay with the 5-20 for winter, and use up the 5-30 in Summer.
This is safe and sound advice, and any MPG loss in summer will be negligible.

Another option I was thinking about is to use a mix of 5W-30 and 5W-20. The only drawback is that the 5W-30 oil that I have is a different brand (Chevron) than the 5W-20 I have (Shell).

If yours are still current style bottles from a local retailer, many will let you exchange for another viscosity of the same brand, even without a receipt. I've never had em refuse to. Otherwise, I would go with what mechtech2 said. Yeah, and I would not mix brands unnecessarily.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
If yours are still current style bottles from a local retailer, many will let you exchange for another viscosity of the same brand, even without a receipt. I've never had em refuse to. Otherwise, I would go with what mechtech2 said. Yeah, and I would not mix brands unnecessarily.

I tried returning oil from Advanced Auto Parts I bought one day earlier and without a receipt they wouldn't even let me exchange it for the proper weight. I got 5w-30 instead of 5w-20 like I wanted. That kind of [censored] me off.

I'll have to go back and check to see if Chevron has changed their oil bottle/label since I bought mine. I don't have the receipt anymore, so hopefully that won't be an issue. Heck, I don't even have the cardboard case anymore... so packing it all up might be tricky.

If yours are still current style bottles from a local retailer, many will let you exchange for another viscosity of the same brand, even without a receipt. I've never had em refuse to.

I've only had them refuse once but I asked for a manager and explained I had the wrong grade and they approved it. I plan on swapping all the Drive Clean I got with the recent special in the event I buy something else that wants something thinner.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Stay with the 5-20 for winter, and use up the 5-30 in Summer.
This is safe and sound advice, and any MPG loss in summer will be negligible.

It may depend on what the stash of 5w30 the OP has, but in looking at regular pennzoil dino oil, the pour point of 5w30 is actually lower than 5w20. I would not see any problem using 5w30 dino oil in a honda during the winter anywhere in the US.

Originally Posted By: sjlee
Another option I was thinking about is to use a mix of 5W-30 and 5W-20. The only drawback is that the 5W-30 oil that I have is a different brand (Chevron) than the 5W-20 I have (Shell).

First off, do not mix the brands. They use different additive packages and IMHO it's better safe than sorry. Use your 5W20 while we are having this nice balmy weather here in WI
grin2.gif
then use your 5W30 this spring. I have two Honda Elements and both of them have 5W30 in them now and I personally cannot tell any difference in starting, running, or gas mileage.

I've been using 5-30 for most of my TL's life and ACD straight 30 for a good portion and have never noticed a change in gas mileage or the amount of time it takes for the oil pressure light to go off. Never a bit of start up rattle. I've only noticed positive things. Due to the constant 100+ degree temps here in the summer and the fact that I have a minimum of a 30minute drive to work, I'll either stay with the straight 30 or gasp, a straight 40wt. I never thought I would see the day that people were more afraid to run a heavier than spec oil than a thinner oil.

... so I was thinking about using it in both vehicles despite the fact that Honda recommends using 5W-20 in each.

The 5W-20 recommendation is only USA, Canada and Japon (fuel economy). The rest of the world is using 5W-30 in Honda engines (or xW-40 in some applications)...

Last edited:
From what I've read in these forums, a good 5W-20 oil will hold up quite well. Why not stick with the recommendation... at least during the warranty period.

I guess if I lived in an extreme heat situation, I might consider a 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: CBDFrontier06
Use it. Neither you or the car will notice the difference. Mixing is unnecessarily asking for trouble.

I got an oil change done in my 2003 mazda v6 at the Mobil1 service station and after that the engine felt sluggish. I asked the service manager what oil he used and he told me he used 5w-30. The engine specs call for 5w-20. I asked him to drain and fill the right oil and the engine was lively once again.

For those who've been waiting four years to know how a nine-year-old Mazda would respond to 5W-30 weight oil, we have an answer.

Note to self: Unlike this fellow's Mazda, those '08 Hondas apparently took to 5W-30 like ducks to water!
grin.gif

I don't really want to have the 5W-30 oil go to waste, so I was thinking about using it in both vehicles despite the fact that Honda recommends using 5W-20 in each.

Forget about what Honda says about 5W-20. Use the 5W-30 and keep fresh
oil flowing through that engine. Change it out at 3700 miles or 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back