Using 10w-40 in 1991 dodge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by huxley7:
Owners manual says to use 5w-30 or 10w-30. I have a case of 10w-40 will that hurt the 3.0 liter engine?

As long as it's an SL rated oil, and you keep the drain interval reasonable, you shouldn't have any problems.

Older vehicle-not high rever- no problem.

I was going to start another thread: But I wonder where the break even point is for 40 weights. For instance an older (larger clearance) larger engine, lower rpm, in hot climate screams out for 40 weight. But let's say you have a fairly high reving 2L engine with high piston speeds and lets say we are talking winter time. Lets say we are using a 5W-40 synthetic (Like Delvac1). I am planning on going with this oil and I have a 2L Sentra. This oil will be in during next winter. I am starting to get cold feet-pardon the punn.
grin.gif

One thing I have going for me is that I drive it very grandfatherly
smile.gif

So that I don't hyjack thread-keep the origional question in mind.

As the SL rating is pretty new, I don't believe it would need to have it, in a 1991 car. And no, I don't believe 10W40 would hurt it in anyway, the engine has to have some wear by now, so the heavier weight, should work just fine. I personally would go back to the lighter weight after the case is gone, but I would go ahead and use it first. But as was already said, I would not let it go a long time before changeing it, each time.

You will experience no problms at all. Your engine has worn to the point of providing sufficient clearences to provide adaquate flow with a 40 or even 50 weight oil. I currently run a 5w-50 synthetic in an 89 Dodge 3.0L with 225,000 km on the clock (origional block - no rebuild - just replaced valve seals at 150K) and it shows normal oil pressure (midway up the gauge) when at operating temperature. Heck, this engine even starts up ok at -35 degrees without being plugged in. We never seem to get the revs over 3000rpm while accelerating and the oil pressure never climbs higher than 2/3 scale throughout the warmup cycle.
canada.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pruntyc:
As the SL rating is pretty new, I don't believe it would need to have it, in a 1991 car.

The age of the car is irrelevant. I recommended an SL oil to ensure that the oil is not one of the older 10w40 grades that is made with Group I base oil and loaded with VI improvers. These older 10w40 oils were notorious for sludge and camshaft wear problems.

G-Man is correct. Remember, SL rated 10W40 still has the higher levels of phros and zinc, because they do not have to meet the GF3 spec. Only the 5W20, 5W30, and 10W30 have to meet GF3.

I said for a 91 it shouldn't matter if it were not SL. For only one case and often changes, come on give me a break. The old oils were not that bad, or we wouldn't have any cars around with any miles on them at all. Like back in the 50's, that needed a over haul, after they got 50,000 ot 70,000 miles on them, and I don't think his oil is that old.

quote:

I said for a 91 it shouldn't matter if it were not SL. For only one case and often changes, come on give me a break. The old oils were not that bad, or we wouldn't have any cars around with any miles on them at all. Like back in the 50's, that needed a over haul, after they got 50,000 ot 70,000 miles on them, and I don't think his oil is that old.

Yeah, and I said the age of the vehicle was irrelevant to the quality of the oil—which it is. Just because an engine is old doesn't mean it can (or should be made to) tolerate an inferior oil.

And, yes, the old 10w40s (and 10w50s) WERE that bad, and that's the reason GM in the early 80s pulled a 180 and absolutely prohibited their use in GM vehicles.

You are talking like a young school boy, that hasn't lived long enough to know much about things. To believe 12 cans of oil, would hurt the engine. If he were to run it all the time from now on, it probably would, who knows for sure, not you or I, sometimes things work differently than we think. Fact is there is people runing engines that have had worse oil in them, and it didn't do them any harm. One case use it. Wouldn't be enough sludge in a case to matter, it would clean out the first or second oil change after that.

quote:

You are talking like a young school boy, that hasn't lived long enough to know much about things. To believe 12 cans of oil, would hurt the engine. If he were to run it all the time from now on, it probably would, who knows for sure, not you or I, sometimes things work differently than we think. Fact is there is people runing engines that have had worse oil in them, and it didn't do them any harm. One case use it. Wouldn't be enough sludge in a case to matter, it would clean out the first or second oil change after that.

Excuse me, but I never said the oil would hurt his engine. My point has been, and remains, why use an inferior oil (and we don't even know that it is, since I don't think he's posted what he's got) when you can purchase good quality SL rated 10w40 oils (if that's the grade you want to use) at a reasonable price?

Why don't you try addressing the topic at hand rather than resorting to ad hominem attacks?
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back