using 0W30 in a car that asks for 15W50 /20W50

Status
Not open for further replies.
my 1990 Golf owner's manual asks for 15W40 or 20W50 to be used when temp are above 0 C. (freezing point)
I wonder what would happen if I use GC 0W30 or AMSOIL 0W30 oil in this car!!

Currently I am using AMSOIL 5W40.

If you have run a synthetic for awhile and have no problems with leaks etc., I think it would be a great idea.

I think either oil is going to promote a better ring seal and maintain better than the suggested dino's.

Unless you make long runs at very high speeds, it might be better. I would consider it and your thinking is sound. Of course, I don't know what you would gain over a syn 5-40, unless you get extremely cold and just want a universal oil.

Much as I would like to see you running SLX, stick to the the owner's manual recommendations. If the OM recommended 5W30 or 10W30, I'd say try it. No way I am going to recommend you use it based on what the OM is calling for.

Would there be a huge difference between 0w30 and 5W40 that I am currently using? Canada's winters are very cold and I park my car outsuide. On the other hand my oil temp for normal high way driving is at 110C and if pushed a little bit it goes above 115C which is a little hot.

Probably not much difference with say M1 0W40...SLX is on the thick side of the 30W scale...and the 0 weight would be perfect for Toronto. I'm just not prepared to recommend a 30W where a 40 or 50W is stated in the OM. Granted oil technology has improved since 1990 so you could call VW tech service and see if today's synthetic 30Ws are OK...like I said, I'd love to see you running the Elixer...as long as it is right for your engine.

My observations:

1. Increased consumption
2. Increased sludge, varnish buildup
3. Power loss due to 2 and/or due to compression loss (viscosity seal).
4. More frequent OCI's req'd due to 1-3.

I would not use anything thinner than an xW40. older VWs like thick oil, that engine design dates back to the early 70s. I know that my '89 16V would make a horrendous racket when hot with 10W30 in it, the lifters would get noisy 'cause they'd bleed down too quickly.

nate

I have owned many VW and they all run about same oil pressure. The engine is in great shape, no oil burning, no engine noise.

quote:

Originally posted by kickster:
I have owned many VW and they all run about same oil pressure. The engine is in great shape, no oil burning, no engine noise.

Regardless with 10lbs of pressure hot with a 40wt ....... good luck with a much thinner oil

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
Regardless with 10lbs of pressure hot with a 40wt ....... good luck with a much thinner oil

I once again agree with Motorbike...with such pressure running a forty-weight, I see absolutely no reason to use something thinner.

Have you considered M1 15w-50?

I was using 10W40 and 20W40 shell dino oil and my oil pressure is no different.

Mobile one is difficult to find in toronto. If I want to use synthetic then I rather use AMSOIL.
AMSOIL is costing me $0.50 more than Mobile per Liter.

The Amsoil 0w-30 is fine for year round use in any VW/Audi engine....I've run it in two Audis' and one VW in very hot climates, with no oil pressure or oil consumption issues....

Tooslick

What was the reason the engine oil light was coming on in this engine that you posted about a month or so back ?

If it's still doing that at idle with a 40wt , I'd certainly not go any thinner till I found out whats wrong .

the light was due to bad oil pressure sender.

I have about 10 to 16 PSI pressure at 700 rpm idle and 25 to 30 PSI at 2500 rpm. (oil temp at 100C.)

quote:

Originally posted by kickster:
the light was due to bad oil pressure sender.

I have about 10 to 16 PSI pressure at 700 rpm idle and 25 to 30 PSI at 2500 rpm. (oil temp at 100C.)

Too low for my comfort still . Could be a worn oil pump from running thick oils in a cold climate all it's life . Might be bearings or both but too much to cover on a forum as it could yet be " one " more problem that's oil pump related .

I'd nix the 0w-30 idea based on my opinion of what is wrong with the motor .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back